Lite DAC-AH distortion repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I got faulty Lite DAC-AH on my hands and now i am trying to repair it.
The problem is that it gives a lot of distortion (like bad signal on radios). Issue is with coaxial and also with optical input so the problem is not there. Also the distortion is same on both channels so i quess its not issue with op-amp circuit.

Measured all regulator output and they seem to be ok. Fixed the common issue with wrong resistors and adjusted TDA1543 dac chip outputs to correct 3.3V. Did not solve the problem.

Heres the circuit:
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DAC/dac_ah_circuit_new.JPG

What to do next? If one of the eight TDA1543 chips are bad, could that add distortion to the signal?

Thanks in advance.

-Samu

See the attachement, looks ok to me..? not accurate scope enough?

Attachments

• 44_1_khz.jpg
    44_1_khz.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Mine had AD847 as well.

Does the distortion turn on and off when you flick the optical / coax switch?

It could be the optical / coax chip or a toasted DAC chip, try measuring all eight maybe?

Without cable i can hear very high tone, definately not should be there but distortion ends.

DAC chips are in parellar so i quess it is impossible to diagnose those without removing them one by one?

EDIT: Also when i start to play music the distortion sound increases a lot.

EDIT2: Interesting.. DAC chip that is second from top (near to trimpot, see image below) is quite hotter than others.. is this normal?
http://www.diygene.com/store/image/cache/data/dac/dacah_1-1600x1200.jpg

Last edited:
Your scope plot does look fine so best remove the DAC chips one by one. You're correct that it could be just one which is faulty - begin with the hottest one. Incidentally what are the power rail voltages to the chips - there are two regulators feeding the DACs so check the output of both.

Your scope plot does look fine so best remove the DAC chips one by one. You're correct that it could be just one which is faulty - begin with the hottest one. Incidentally what are the power rail voltages to the chips - there are two regulators feeding the DACs so check the output of both.
Ill try that chip removing next. Both regulators give steady 6V output and tda outputs are adjusted to 3.3V.

If i have understood right, the dac should work still if it had only one dac chip installed?

Last edited:
I'd recommend considering replacing the AD847 with sockets as well, then you can try different IC's at the line-out, I did this a few days back and the difference in sound is pretty much like a completely new DAC.

Removing all the solder is a hassle, you need to insert the desoldering pump at all kinds of angles, well I didn't remove the board itself just the two metal covers beneath and above.

I'd recommend considering replacing the AD847 with sockets as well, then you can try different IC's at the line-out, I did this a few days back and the improvement is really nice.

Removing all the solder is a hassle, you need to insert the desoldering pump at all kinds of angles, well I didn't remove the board itself just the two metal covers beneath and above.
I am planning to do the passive mod when i have figured out this isue. Already ordered k75-10 2.2uf pio caps.

Passive mod. A Current out DAC into a Current out amplifier?

There is a book by someone in Finland about Current out amplifiers.
I must to addmit that i have no clue about current out dacs.

Do you recommed op changes over passive mod? I have just readed about passive mods and people have said that it sounds good.. Is there some electrical problems with the passive mods?

None that I'm aware of - with 8 paralleled chips you might even have enough headroom to implement a passive low-pass filter too to take it to the next level.

Another mod worth doing is disabling the internal current sources (just disconnect all the pin7s) and provide external 'pull-up' CCSs.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.