Issue with DIYIHNK's USB - I2S XMOS bridge - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2014, 07:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Issue with DIYIHNK's USB - I2S XMOS bridge

I recently purchased one of DIYINHKs usb - I2s bridges in order to start a project to build a wireless player (UDOO -> USB bridge -> ES9023 -> amp -> speaker).

I prepared a testing setup with a LM1117T LDO voltage regulator supplied by a SMP (5V DC -> 3.3V DC) to supply the PCB with the required 2x 3.3v as described on their folks homepage. XMOS DSD DXD 384kHz high-quality USB to I2S/DSD PCB - DIYINHK

Nothing happens when I connect the setup to my mac (OS X 10.7.5). I double checked all connections / voltages etc. I could not get a usable answer on DIYINHKs "support". Does anyone have the same problem? Do I need to configure my mac?
Old 11th August 2014, 02:35 PM   #2
zxx222 is offline zxx222  Europe
diyAudio Member

I think there is enough one +3.3V and gnd connection to power the board. I have got different board - with isolation and still did not power it to check if it works, but isolated side is powered exactly as in your board, so when I will have time, I will try to power it up and check if it works.
I want to use external 5V power instead USB for dirty side, but in user guide there is no info about that and I am not that experienced to understand xmos chip datasheet to figure it out myself.
Old 12th August 2014, 01:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks, zxx222: it appears that there are a couple of power connectors. The website says to power the device through two pins right above the I2S connector with +3.3V which I did.
There is an additional two-pin connector close to the USB which probably can also be used but I am not sure what voltage should go in (I suspect also +3.3V).
Old 12th August 2014, 07:13 PM   #4
zxx222 is offline zxx222  Europe
diyAudio Member

Can you post a photo of your connection?
Old 17th August 2014, 07:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Prototype setup

This is my prototype setup (I am planning to establish a dedicated power supply lateron) using a bread board (in classical white as can be seen from photos). Attached to it I have a switch mode power supply with ca 5.1V DC out and max 2 Amp. You can see the red and black leads going into the breadboards power rail.

From the rail, I supply the 5 V directly to the DAC boars (see DSC00128.jpeg in front. When I connect I can hear a soft "pop" indicating that the board must be powered on.

Then I have a LM1117 voltage regulator (ca max 800 mA or so) that supplies exactly +3.3V from the rail on the breadboard. I have connected the output of the VR to the USB - I2S bridge as shown in DSC00129.jpg. Ground goes through the DAC back into the breadboard.

What could be wrong here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00128.jpg (808.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00129.jpg (811.4 KB, 45 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!