Issue with DIYIHNK's USB - I2S XMOS bridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased one of DIYINHKs usb - I2s bridges in order to start a project to build a wireless player (UDOO -> USB bridge -> ES9023 -> amp -> speaker).

I prepared a testing setup with a LM1117T LDO voltage regulator supplied by a SMP (5V DC -> 3.3V DC) to supply the PCB with the required 2x 3.3v as described on their folks homepage. XMOS DSD DXD 384kHz high-quality USB to I2S/DSD PCB - DIYINHK

Nothing happens when I connect the setup to my mac (OS X 10.7.5). I double checked all connections / voltages etc. I could not get a usable answer on DIYINHKs "support". Does anyone have the same problem? Do I need to configure my mac?

I think there is enough one +3.3V and gnd connection to power the board. I have got different board - with isolation and still did not power it to check if it works, but isolated side is powered exactly as in your board, so when I will have time, I will try to power it up and check if it works.
I want to use external 5V power instead USB for dirty side, but in user guide there is no info about that and I am not that experienced to understand xmos chip datasheet to figure it out myself.

thanks, zxx222: it appears that there are a couple of power connectors. The website says to power the device through two pins right above the I2S connector with +3.3V which I did.
There is an additional two-pin connector close to the USB which probably can also be used but I am not sure what voltage should go in (I suspect also +3.3V).

Prototype setup

This is my prototype setup (I am planning to establish a dedicated power supply lateron) using a bread board (in classical white as can be seen from photos). Attached to it I have a switch mode power supply with ca 5.1V DC out and max 2 Amp. You can see the red and black leads going into the breadboards power rail.

From the rail, I supply the 5 V directly to the DAC boars (see DSC00128.jpeg in front. When I connect I can hear a soft "pop" indicating that the board must be powered on.

Then I have a LM1117 voltage regulator (ca max 800 mA or so) that supplies exactly +3.3V from the rail on the breadboard. I have connected the output of the VR to the USB - I2S bridge as shown in DSC00129.jpg. Ground goes through the DAC back into the breadboard.

What could be wrong here?

Attachments

• DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    808.3 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00129.jpg
    DSC00129.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 166
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.