DAC Schematic Review and Layout Suggestions - WM8804 and PCM5102A - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2014, 03:40 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by df audio View Post
After I'm done my first board and confirmed that it works, I'll give away the remaining ones (you have to pay shipping though) and post the Gerbers online.
Hi, please let me know if you will have available an extra board, I would be happy to pay also for the board and not just for the shipping keep us updated how it sounds ... I remember an old thread where one had to power the 5102 with 3,6V instead of 3,3 otherwise there were some serious digital clipping issues at max. level
Old 27th August 2014, 03:29 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Well, you're welcome to try it out with a 3.6V reg (I believe the LP5907 regulator that I used in this board has a version with this voltage) and see it it sounds better. However, the datasheet states that the maximum voltage for the charge pump is 3.6V, and pushing it close to the limit might damage the chip over time.

Since those Chinese manufacturers are so cheap, I won't mind giving away my first run of boards for free (I ordered 5, but they have the habit of sending over 10+ boards for whatever reason). If there's interest, I'll make a second run with better boards (ENIG, etc.) and Jean-Paul's suggestions. Those you will have to pay for as they're more expensive.

So far you and Jean-Paul are lined up for the first run of boards - I'll post more details once everything's arrived and ready.
Old 28th August 2014, 05:18 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Quote:

So far you and Jean-Paul are lined up for the first run of boards - I'll post more details once everything's arrived and ready.
thanks for your kind offer, hope to be able to compensate somehow
Old 8th September 2014, 09:28 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Boards are here! I'm itching to start building soon...

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 9th September 2014, 05:17 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

wow, really nice and clean looking boards and the manufacture process and shipping from china seems to be blazing fast; I'm curious about your first impressions regarding the sound quality
Old 9th September 2014, 10:51 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Please consider also the PCM5142A converters. You know, they include DSP, and add just a few pins (I2C/SPI, GPIO outputs for additional I2S outputs). Board like this with the 5142 part would make a nice XOver for a 2-way (or even more with the GPIO I2S usage) speakers.
Old 9th September 2014, 07:14 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxury54 View Post
wow, really nice and clean looking boards and the manufacture process and shipping from china seems to be blazing fast; I'm curious about your first impressions regarding the sound quality
I'm currently building it and should be able to report on the quality soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhelin View Post
Please consider also the PCM5142A converters. You know, they include DSP, and add just a few pins (I2C/SPI, GPIO outputs for additional I2S outputs). Board like this with the 5142 part would make a nice XOver for a 2-way (or even more with the GPIO I2S usage) speakers.
DSP and programming? Not for me (yet)
Old 10th September 2014, 05:24 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm currently building it and should be able to report on the quality soon.

DSP and programming? Not for me (yet)
Actually when using TI Purepath Studio you don't need to know anything about progrmming. It's more like playing with Lego bricks. Visual Dsp.
Old 13th September 2014, 02:48 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

I'm still waiting for my backordered diode bridge...

Old 14th September 2014, 12:55 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

I used a jumper cable over the bridge so that I could try it out. I just couldn't wait...

The DAC doesn't sound as neutral as I expected, but the sound is as a result more smooth and coloured. Distortion in my RMAA test is a bit high, but the details and instrument seperation in music come out fine. Then again, some people prefer their sound to be a bit different than the studio master (think tube amps).

RMAA test (my ALC892 doesn't have enough dynamic range and SNR for an accurate reading, but it does show that my distortion is a bit high), with my onboard output as a comparison

I'll post more listening impressions later - right now I'm busy enjoying the music

Hide this!Advertise here!