TDA1543 Anarchist DAC PCB layout. Suggestions welcome. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2014, 08:20 AM   #1
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Cool TDA1543 Anarchist DAC PCB layout. Suggestions welcome.

Be warned. This dac employs completely off-standard thinking and uses METRIC measurements. Which can give most if not all people massive headaches.

A measurable amount of chilli ingestion or the use of your own various forms of legal mind altering drugs is suggested. As is a pencil in your ear and ears full of wax and messed up hair so that you look like you know what you're talking about.

I certianly don't know what I'm doing, this just looks cool to me so I thought I'd share.

This PCB board design is meant to be traced onto a 70x90mm single sided or double sided copper PCB. Which keeps things cheap.

Every attempt has been made at isolation of each stage and providing the shortest path a priority to the power and shielding. A single point earth has been established and a choke should be placed in-between the B+ pad and the Vcc of the TDA1543 IC.

There is also an optional metal shield which surrounds the TDA1543 IC and solder tabs surround the IC to solder the shield to the bottom trace. This shield is also meant to cut straight across the two AOR and AOL traces which form an omega symbol. Please also note that you will need an external source for Vref.

You will need to download a copy of ExpressPCB to view and modify this design: (I like this software)
ExpressPCB - Free PCB layout and schematic software

Let me know if you find anything wrong with it or have things that you would like to suggest to improve the design.

The latest as of 25th July 2014:

It is not recommended that you build these until I have had a chance to build them myself (as of 25th of July 2014 I am only up to the pcb transfer stage, still waiting for components to arrive, specifically a drill press.), this thread is mainly for my own personal self discovery with this design and also to find any bugs or issues which I myself cannot see by my own. While you could theoretically print and build these traces you do so at your OWN RISK.

To get the latest file go to this post:
TDA1543 Anarchist DAC PCB layout. Suggestions welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1543dac-v6-1.zip (5.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by freax; 25th July 2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Version 6.2:
Click the image to open in full size.
This version has support for a 3v vref as a replacement for Vref output of the TD1543 IC.

You use the instructions as stated in this post by Flied Egg here:
Modifying the Russian TDA1543 DAC off eBay.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1543dac-v6-2.zip (5.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 3rd July 2014, 01:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Version 6.3:

Would appreciate some comments on the design and a second set of eyes to see if I've made any mistakes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1543dac-v6-3.zip (11.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 4th July 2014, 04:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to oxoxbyx
I am interest to build TDA1543 now, can u repair the schematic link? I open that is broken link
Old 7th July 2014, 09:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm not an expert by any means but you might consider the following points

1. The CS8412 ideally should have separate regulated power supplies as I am led to believe that the digital part is very noisy. Pin 24 is part of the digital section so you connect that to pin 7 and then supply pin 22 (the analog section) separately.

2.Can't see 680R resistors between pins 6/8 and +3vref - perhaps it is the software.

3. I like to tweak the final sound to taste - varying the PLL R/C components and coupling caps to suit the rest of the system so you might consider a temporary fixing until these are finalised.
Old 25th July 2014, 06:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here is the 1st half of version 7.2 Alpha:

In this version you select which modes you want the CS8412 to do by bridging the M0-M3 traces and SEL traces to either earth or DB+ (5v). This version has thicker traces too which will aid in doing toner transfers to a PCB. (I know this from experience)

You will find the v7.2 expresspcb trace attached to this message.

It is not recommended that you build these until I have had a chance to build them myself (as of 25th of July 2014 I am only up to the pcb transfer stage, still waiting for components to arrive, specifically a drill press.), this thread is mainly for my own personal self discovery with this design and also to find any bugs or issues which I myself cannot see by my own. While you could theoretically print and build these traces you do so at your OWN RISK.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1543dac-v7-2.zip (7.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by freax; 25th July 2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 25th July 2014, 12:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Don't forget that when you etch your own boards, there is no through hole plating.
If you have a mounting pad under, say, a capacitor, there will be no way to solder
the component to the board unless you leave it sticking way up in the air...
Old 25th July 2014, 04:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I hereby christen this revision "Purple Monkey Dishwasher".

The idea is that the spacious PCB allows you to hang large coupling capacitors off the edge when using 2 pin terminal screw thingies.Also all of the good stuff like really super close capacitors (I'll be using a 10uF one on my TDA1543 and a ceramic 0.1uF)

And star grounding...

And Wire holes as indicated on the PCB as "W" for input from an external battery 3v Vref source.

And a spot for a transformer (make it yourself using a small toroid core.) for coupling your CD player's S/PDIF to the input to the CS8412.

And a small coupling capacitor to keep the nasty stuff out.

I'm off to bed, enjoy!

Version 7.2.1 of the CS8412 part A.
&
Version 8.1.1 of the TDA1543 part B.

Part A

Part B

Both are bundled in the same zip file as attached to this message:
Attached Files
File Type: zip pmd2.zip (12.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by freax; 25th July 2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 30th July 2014, 09:54 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Progress has been made with regards to pcb printing/drilling.

If anyone is interested, this is what a genuine TDA1543A looks like. (Pulled from a Sony CDP)

I am aware of the incompatability of the CS8412 with the TDA1543A, Will be finding another IC capable of Japanese digital output.

I'm at the moment designing the LM317 super capacitor power supply. Its a bit difficult because I need to make it capable of automatically switching from a solar 12v DC power source to 240v AC and back again during a blackout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 007s.jpg (208.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 009s.jpg (266.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 016s.jpg (360.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 019s.jpg (340.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 020s.jpg (230.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 022s.jpg (380.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 023s.jpg (268.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 024s.jpg (262.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by freax; 30th July 2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 30th July 2014, 02:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Contemplating a TDA1543 x8 with the use of only the Right channels of each DAC chip. (4x IC's per Channel)

It will fit on a 70x90 mm single sided PCB board. (For Both Channels)

Should sound groundbreaking.

Last edited by freax; 30th July 2014 at 02:12 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!