Desert-island DAC: TDA1541A vs. ESS, etc. (the bottom line) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2014, 01:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Desert-island DAC: TDA1541A vs. ESS, etc. (the bottom line)

I haven't kept up with either the latest DAC technology or DIY... I've just got a parts bin of now-ancient DACs.
Can't seem to come to any sort of "conclusion" -- if there is one -- on which classic or modern DACs are worth using (regardless of $$).

For the sake of this thread, let's keep things simple ...

...given careful/"optimum" implementation ... which would you rather have as your desert-island DAC:

ESS -- ES9018K2M (best modern DAC???)
...or ...
Philips TDA1541A (double crown)

Thx!

P.S. This thread may evolve as necessary ... e.g., you can add any comment about NOS, etc.
Old 27th May 2014, 02:48 PM   #2
esgigt is online now esgigt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I guess you'll have a better chance getting a ESS 32bit chip than a genuine TDA1541A dual crown...

TDA1541A DACs have not been produced since 2000.. so most of the single and dual crown versions available could well prove to be (very expensive) fake's...
Old 27th May 2014, 05:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default What' a good DAC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esgigt View Post
I guess you'll have a better chance getting a ESS 32bit chip than a genuine TDA1541A dual crown...

TDA1541A DACs have not been produced since 2000.. so most of the single and dual crown versions available could well prove to be (very expensive) fake's...
I have a few genuine dual crowns in my stash ... they were purch'd around Y2K...

Anyway, the question was not about GETTING ... it was about HAVING either DAC ...

I dunno ... DIY forums are so confusing to me me now ... what with all the personal (uncontrolled) experiments and projects ... and not a lot of statistical polling.
And then there are the DIY egos ...micro-managers ...anal-nigglers ... yada ... yada ...
Don't get me wrong ... I'm not a huge fan of ABX or pure-objective testing ... but I still don't know what's a good DAC ...
...may be barking up the wrong tree ... that is, and as many suggest, that it really is the IMPLEMENTATION which is key ...i.e., you can make any DAC sound decent. E.g., a few years ago, the Zoran all-in-one chip -- video, audio, Dolby, the whole 9 yds. -- that was in $30 Toshiba SD 3990 DVD players-- remember that?!. It got a lot of modding attention on DIY forums...and that was at a time (2004-2006) when many of the current high-enders (WM8470, CS4398, PCM1792, PCM1704, AD1862 as well as all the classic Philips) were readily avail. WTF? Is DIY that trendy? Why, that trendy pathology smells a lot like the same affliction suffered by DIYer's favorite target of ridicule: audiophiles ... spending all their $$

....so ... DIY ... what have you done for me lately?
Old 28th May 2014, 12:07 AM   #4
esgigt is online now esgigt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
I have a few genuine dual crowns in my stash ... they were purch'd around Y2K...

Anyway, the question was not about GETTING ... it was about HAVING either DAC ...
Sorry, that was not clear to me..

I guess the 32bit ESS might have some advantage in linearity over the TDA, but I have no idea to what degree that's audible. Most influence on the SQ imho is the quality of the DAC's implementation (PSU, PCB design and components).
Old 28th May 2014, 04:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Encapsulated DAC -- it's the implementation, stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esgigt View Post
Sorry, that was not clear to me..

I guess the 32bit ESS might have some advantage in linearity over the TDA, but I have no idea to what degree that's audible. Most influence on the SQ imho is the quality of the DAC's implementation (PSU, PCB design and components).
Well, on diyaudio.com, ESS 32bit and TDA1541A (select grade) seem to be popular.
In the non-DIY and "audiophile" crowd there seems to be no similar "consensus". E.g., the latest Astell and Kern AK240 $3k (!!) DAP uses Cirrus Logic CS4398 x2 (Dual DAC) ... my $120 Colorfly DAP uses a single CS4398.
The TDA1545A/TDA1387 are avail in 8-pin SOIC .... so if "classic" Philips segmented-current-architecture sound is so great, Apple or Sony would've put these DACs into their products ...
That's not so far-fetched ... popular Chinese manuf. Head-Direct (HiFiman) uses a classic TDA1543 (8-pin DIP) in its NOS model 601 DAP.
Point being the implementation in which the DAC is encapsulated is more important than the DAC ... if not, prove that remark wrong ... you've go the rest of the thread

Not sure about the ultimate reason why DIYers select one DAC over another. E.g., is it form factor: e.g., TDA1545 and TDA1543 are DIP and only 8 pins ... so easy to breadboard, and veroboard ... etc.
Or are they simply bored and need to fill time with yet another "DAC" project?
Me, I gave up on DIY and picked up toilet-plunging and a crack-cocaine habit. Almost as much fun
Old 28th May 2014, 05:04 AM   #6
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

you could probably emulate the 1541 output with the ESS - would have to digitally add noise and distortion to the ESS

that would be adding than enough more noise to the ESS digital input to mask the noise floor modulation abrax worries about

Last edited by jcx; 28th May 2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 28th May 2014, 05:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
The TDA1545A/TDA1387 are avail in 8-pin SOIC .... so if "classic" Philips segmented-current-architecture sound is so great, Apple or Sony would've put these DACs into their products ...
As if manufacturers don't look at the costs....A smart manufacturer looks what can play back current formats (like 24/96 i.e. what the market "demands"), what chips are available and generally they choose a type that stays in production for a while. Using chips that are out of production is reserved for the "cottage industry" and that is not meant negatively !

A one chip solution and low part count combined with good specifications is considered a winner combination in commercial terms.

Last edited by jean-paul; 28th May 2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 28th May 2014, 05:59 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Human science ca. 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
you could probably emulate the 1541 output with the ESS - would have to digitally add noise and distortion to the ESS

that would be adding than enough more noise to the ESS digital input to mask the noise floor modulation abrax worries about
Do you really think (scientific/measurable) "distortion", or lack of, is an important enough reason why careful listeners choose (or simply discern) one DAC over another?
MOS-FETs sound somewhat similar to tubes, but MOS-FET distortion doesn't even come close to tube ... IOW, other stuff is going on ... a lot of is probably unknown to human science ca. 2014.
Old 28th May 2014, 06:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The ESS K2M parts are more about power efficiency for mobile markets than absolute maximum performance ES9012 and ES9018 are still their headline parts though their specs are pretty similar and the K2M parts may allow different PCB layout improvement optimisations vs the additional available pins on the older 9018 and 9012 components with more pins and access to additional separated supply voltages etc.
Old 28th May 2014, 06:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

That is right. The K2M parts don't need complex power supplies as a result. For standalone application it is either their cheapest chip or the "normal" line up to choose.

Hide this!Advertise here!