Negative side-effects of using very thin PCB? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2014, 02:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Negative side-effects of using very thin PCB?

Hi Diy'ers,

I'm considering using a very thin PCB (~0.3 mm) for a DAC layout but wonder if - besides being potentially less mechanically stable - there might be other negative side-effects to using a very thin PCB?

One possibly negative side-effect could be the increased capacitance but at higher frequencies (25 - 100 MHz) track & component inductances seem to be more important in order to allow for effective decoupling etc. (according to e.g. Howard Johnson). Also, a thin PCB would allow for quite efficient cross-talk reduction between tracks.

However, I wonder if there could be some kind of negative side-effects to using a thin PCB - other than those mentioned above - that I don't know about ...

Might one/some of you know about/have experience with this?

Cheers

Jesper
Old 7th May 2014, 02:09 AM   #2
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Board flex with surface mount parts...I would really avoid that.

Old 7th May 2014, 04:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi DUG ... your reply made me realize that I could have been clearer in my wording when asking my question: I will be using multiple layer PCBs so even if a single layer may have some mechanical "flexibility" the combined layers would be reasonable stable, although probably not as thick as a 1.6 mm board.

But please "side-track" on the mechanical aspects - I should be able to find a solution to that. I'm more after if there are some kind of ("obscure") electrical side-effects - other than those I've mentioned - to placing a signal layer and a ground layer as close together as 0.3 mm.

Best regards,

Jesper
Old 7th May 2014, 04:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Multilayer boards routinely have inner layers closer together than 0.3mm for 6 or more layers anyway.
Old 7th May 2014, 11:58 AM   #5
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I do boards with 2-16 layers in 1.6mm....
Use Saturn PCB toolkit and all the values for trace capacitance. inductance etc can be worked out....But never really known any issues for normal designs.
Old 8th May 2014, 04:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

@abraxalito & marce: Thank you both for your feedback.

I'm not familiar with what you do abraxalito but know that marce works with high-speed circuitries so if it works in this context it should be fine for my purposes.

Cheers,

Jesper
Old 8th May 2014, 05:14 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

P.S.:
Quote:
Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
.... Your comment makes me smile although I also take it that the city may not only have changed for the better in these 700 years ...
Old 8th May 2014, 11:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yep, multilayers, they are much better.
Take care of return current paths for signals which go thru vias. In 2-layer, usually, we gave just one GND plane on both sides, so there is *almost* no issue with vias.

With multilayer layout, say you have GND and VCC as 2-3 layers and 1,4 are for signal - if you go from 1 to 4 with via, then you change the return plane from gnd to vcc - this is failure, unless you stitch GND and VCC with capacitors in close proximity to via.
Another drawback is lack of ability to access inner layers for debug things - to cut traces.
Old 8th May 2014, 11:27 AM   #9
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Only a problem with very high speed in real life, and if you are doing high speed then you will have more than 4 layers, so can sort the layers out better. For most DIY stuff (and commercial) it is not an issue so I would not worry about it.
Old 8th May 2014, 05:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The trouble is, it is already high-speed. LVC gates anyone? The speed is not a clocking rate, but rise/fall times And they are creeping into sub-1ns region.

Add a low-noise DAC and analog line-level circuitry with huge loop areas and hi-z all over the place, in the same enclosure...

EMC is must.

Last edited by s3tup; 8th May 2014 at 05:32 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!