ADC using ES9102/9112

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
@acko: Hi Acko ... a quick question related to your design: Did you ever do some measurements on the ES9102 e.g. at 384 kHz 24/32 bits sampling rates and if so would you be at liberty :)-)) to post them? I would be interested in e.g. a normal 1 kHz 0 dB to THD measurement and also the HF extension ...

Might you have such measurements?

Cheers,

Jesper

P.S.: If the MCU you are talking about is some kind of a storing media have you then considered increasing the sample rate beyond 384 kHz? I realize that at any given point in time there's always a highest (and potentially "good enough" level of most anything), however, if I've read my history correctly this only applies for "some" time. So enabling 768, 1536, 3072 kHz samping could help "future proof" such a device - with less pollution, less work (not needing to design and make new versions) and overall flexibility ... To my knowledge this may not be that much more expensive/complex than making a 384 kHz version. My thoughts about this .... Jesper

Last edited:
PS. By "build" I mean put together using the necessary modules, such as those from acko, and whatever else is necessary, like the case, power transformers, etc. For ADC I just need to rip vinyl at one chosen high resolution format (e.g. 96/24 or higher). For DAC I need to play all popular formats (44/16, 44/24, 88/24, 96/24, 192/24, etc.). Which modules do I need? Thanks!

Synchronous verses Asynchronous

The date sheet states the the "ADC supports synchronous I2S master/slave output or asynchronous I2S slave output relative to the master clock"... The data sheet does not define which device has the master clock.

I am having a hard time getting my head around this.
The ESS DAC's have a similar feature set. For instance my BIII runs in asynchronous mode. The chip at 100kHz which accepts virtually any input clock up to 384kHz. It can also run synchronous to sources clock.

So does this mean that the 9102 works in a similar fashion.
Synchronous using the clock from the target I2S signal (a USBStreamer in my case).

For the asynchronous mode the 9102 could run at 50kHz for example and the receiving chip would handle it at its set clock rate, with no clock line between the two. Similar to the DAC's.

Or would the clock on the 9102 have to run at a multiple of the clock on the receiving chip, in a sort of hybrid sync mode, hence the "relative to the master clock" statement.

Hi guys
I'm trying to get my hands on ES9112 datasheet
I've signed the NDA, but had no feedback for more than a week.
Does anyone know if actually buying the product will help? Or I will end up having the chip and knowing nothing about it? Not cool, eh?
Any other advice or help will be highly appreciated,
Also I'm looking for logic library or .bxl library for the thing, if that exists it will certainly make my life easier. Not a big deal if doesn't, but again any help or advice will be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Complications using the ADC

I have the ADC built and ready to go. It turns out that integration with a USB host is a little more complicated than I thought. I was hoping to use the USBStreamer from MiniDSP. It turns out that the ESS board will only output 32 bit data on the I2S line. The USBStreamer will only accept 24 bits. So that mean I2S is out.
The Streamer will accept 24 bits on the Toslink connector. The ESS board outputs 24 bits from the SPDIF connector. So now I need to get a converter. I am wondering how this conversion will affect the data quality.
Toslink is converted to a SPDIF signal by the Streamer at some point. I do not know if it is to consumer or pro SPDIF however. I am wondering if there is a way to go downstream from the optical connector and input the SPDIF data there.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi guys,
I am new here :) I'd like to build a high sound quality ESS DAC and ADC for ripping vinyl. Where do I start? I am new to DIY, but I can solder (just replaced 37 caps in my JVC QL-10). I would appreciate any guidance :)
Alex

I hope so. I've been trying to buy modules from him for two weeks with no success. Can anyone else please help a newbie with an advice? Which modules do I need to build a 9102 ADC for vinyl ripping at one selected rate (perhaps 192/24 )? Thanks!

Does anyone know when Acko is expected back online?

Still Alive!
The product datasheet has most of the information

I have replied your PM

Last edited:
I have the ADC built and ready to go. It turns out that integration with a USB host is a little more complicated than I thought. I was hoping to use the USBStreamer from MiniDSP. It turns out that the ESS board will only output 32 bit data on the I2S line. The USBStreamer will only accept 24 bits. So that mean I2S is out.
The Streamer will accept 24 bits on the Toslink connector. The ESS board outputs 24 bits from the SPDIF connector. So now I need to get a converter. I am wondering how this conversion will affect the data quality.
Toslink is converted to a SPDIF signal by the Streamer at some point. I do not know if it is to consumer or pro SPDIF however. I am wondering if there is a way to go downstream from the optical connector and input the SPDIF data there.
Any advice would be appreciated.

1. Default output is I2S 32-bit @48KHz Fs. Spdif is OFF
If host device cannot accommodate 32-bits then the ADC output needs to be set to match accordingly. Requires external controller to set registers accordingly.

2. SPDIF output is 24bit @ 192KHz but this is not enabled by default. Again, an external controller is needed activate this.

Looks like a controller is needed for most cases.

I did propose a full blown controller (AKC102) but this is going to take a while. Meanwhile looking at something simpler that could be connected to the USB port of PC and send I2C commands to the ADC port ...

Acko,

I have read the data sheet for the chip many times and I have yet to find any way to change the output to anything but 32it. There is no mention of a register that controls the bit depth for either type of output, I2S or SPDIF. I have version 0.1 from Dec. of 2011. Is there a newer version that shows a way to set something other than 32 bit output for I2S?

Acko,

I have read the data sheet for the chip many times and I have yet to find any way to change the output to anything but 32it. There is no mention of a register that controls the bit depth for either type of output, I2S or SPDIF. I have version 0.1 from Dec. of 2011. Is there a newer version that shows a way to set something other than 32 bit output for I2S?

There is Dither Mask setting (register #7, Page10)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.