Signalyst DSC1

The Amanero version is 2003. But it still works only in Linux. Windows drivers are not ready yet.
I had the opportunity to compare LL1527XL and Chinese transformers. I like Chinese more.
I already wrote, GB will be opened only after I assembled and check the release version. This forum thread is not commercial, I will not here call the price.

Hi Pavel here is the image for RCA OUTPUT from the website for the transformers. It is different to what you suggested and while I am sure YOU are correct it has left me confused.

Attachments

• HTB1fXGWRXXXXXbNXpXXq6xXFXXXq.jpg
    HTB1fXGWRXXXXXbNXpXXq6xXFXXXq.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 608
If its of interest/help to anyone (I don't think it's too off topic), I run HQ Player on an old but reasonably powerful (Xeon processor) Windows 10 computer. Output is streamed to an HQ Player NAA (Intel NUC hardware) that is running Audiolinux (which will handle DSD512);

AudioLinux - The audiophile realtime plug & play operative system

I can't recall the hardware details off-hand but can look it up if anyone wants to know, but I have just enough headroom to upsample from PCM (mostly CD rips to FLAC) to DSD512.

The main computer is remotely located and the NAA has no moving parts so is completely silent in the listening room.

I will probably switch to Audiolinux on the main computer too at some point.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I run Ubuntu 16.04 with HQPlayer Embedded.
The processor is Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz
and I can do DSD512 with a -2s filter.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

From then I use NAA. Either
Odroid C2 -> iFi Micro iDSD BL
or
BeagleBone Black w/Botic -> Hermes -> Cronus -> DSC2.5

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi ...

About powering the Amanero. The Amanero is USB bus powered. Is it easy to mod the amanero to have it fed by a separate low noise LPSU?

I have done this by removing L1 in the schematic and then supplying 3.3 VDC (actually 3.4 VDC from an LiPO4) directly to the VCC_3.3V_USB on the other side of the ADP151 in the schematic linked to here:

http://www.tec-sol.com/products/elec/amanero/Combo384_USB_E.pdf

In my setup this has always worked and can be left powered up with or without the Amanero connected to the computer via the USB. Sound is back instantly when the USB is (re)connected

Cheers,

Jesper

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I also have a Beaglebone Black/Botic based NAA that I use on the front end of my Buffalo 3SE DAC, isolation/reclocking via an Acko SO3.

Muting is the problem I've found with the BBB with the Signalyst or NoDac type of DSD decoders - how are you finding it?

@nautibuoy the clicks don't bother me much. What is very interesting is how lifeless DSC2 sounds with BBB/Hermes/Cronus vs direct Amanero.
Granted, my connections are with short wires from Cronus to DSC2, while Amanero is directly connected board-to-board.

One more thing is, before disconnecting for comparison, I was using BBB/Hermes/Cronus at full DSD512 which may or may not be an issue.

I'm comparing to the iDSD Micro BL and since I can't do A/B testing (it takes a while to switch HQPlayer from one DAC to another and I don't have a separate machine to use for HQPlayer), right now with Amanero and DSD128 I cannot hear much bigger difference between the iDSD and DSC2.
I feel the soundstage with iDSD to be more precise and I get better air/separation around the instruments.

I suspect this may also be due to too many transformers in the signal path. I'm using my 300B single-ended tube amp to test and I guess the synergy is not 100% yet... with all the trafos and all.

I'm looking into testing a non-transformer output stage. Any hints would be most welcome.