Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Signalyst DSC1
Signalyst DSC1
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2018, 05:27 PM   #971
ppy is offline ppy  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member
 
ppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
i would think resistor sound quality would matter.
Just thinking out loud here and wondering. I know somewhere on this thread I did see some measurements which appeared to show higher precision resistors giving better measured performance... Thoughts?
High precision resistors are required in the DAC R2R type.
DSC uses the Rectangular Window FIR Filters. Therefore, there is no need for very high precision resistors.
According to my measurements, there is no difference between 1% and 0.1% resistors.

Last edited by ppy; 16th July 2018 at 05:36 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2018, 08:36 PM   #972
mcluxun is offline mcluxun  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit123 View Post
How are you going to cope with the cooling? Big radiator?
I've tried active cooling with one 12cm Noctua fan and got stable 38 - 40 C (3 Reflector D, 2Ohm, 2Ohm, 1Ohm). But there were small chasis vibrations that I did not like.
How do you handle grounding among your PSUs? I'm guessing you are using 1 Reflector-D per channel and 1 for the digital source?
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2018, 10:32 PM   #973
barrows is offline barrows
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppy View Post
High precision resistors are required in the DAC R2R type.
DSC uses the Rectangular Window FIR Filters. Therefore, there is no need for very high precision resistors.
According to my measurements, there is no difference between 1% and 0.1% resistors.
Pavel, I am aware that super precision resistors are not required for DSC-1 technical performance vs. PCM/R2R DACs... I am curious though as to subjective sound quality. At some point someone will build a DSC style DAC and use Z-foils just to see what the sound quality might be.
Just curious...
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2018, 09:20 AM   #974
Vit123 is offline Vit123  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Russia
Signalyst DSC1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcluxun View Post
How do you handle grounding among your PSUs? I'm guessing you are using 1 Reflector-D per channel and 1 for the digital source?
I'am using Reflector D for another DAC (Soekris dam1121 - Left, Right output line power, Didital line power), not for DSC. Reflector's earth connected to dam1121 earth. All of them are placed on nylon spacers.

But I have 50Hz harmonics with Reflector and can't eliminate them (have look at Reflektor-D builds)
__________________
GB DSC Signalyst v2 DSD DAC
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2018, 07:00 PM   #975
mcluxun is offline mcluxun  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit123 View Post
I'am using Reflector D for another DAC (Soekris dam1121 - Left, Right output line power, Didital line power), not for DSC. Reflector's earth connected to dam1121 earth. All of them are placed on nylon spacers.

But I have 50Hz harmonics with Reflector and can't eliminate them (have look at Reflektor-D builds)
I think I too have it: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
This is a plot from years ago with DSC1 with Reflector-D, although it's far superior than LM1086: Stock DSC1 - Imgur

I remember when I was supplying Reflector-D with a bench top PSU I no longer have noise from AC lines. When my DSC2 is running and stable, I will see if the same applies for DSC2.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 08:24 AM   #976
Ipoci is offline Ipoci  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Milano
Question about I2S ingress sharing ...
How difficult it is the creation of shared Y shaped I2S circuit? I mean having the DSC2.x ingress drived by two different I2S boards automatically or manually selected. One side of Y will be Amanero, the other one another I2S board
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 08:29 AM   #977
TioFrancotirador is offline TioFrancotirador  Poland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Poland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipoci View Post
Question about I2S ingress sharing ...
How difficult it is the creation of shared Y shaped I2S circuit? I mean having the DSC2.x ingress drived by two different I2S boards automatically or manually selected. One side of Y will be Amanero, the other one another I2S board
You would need MUX for that. E.g.: something like this:
OTTO-II 2:1 Switching Module
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 08:31 AM   #978
ppy is offline ppy  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member
 
ppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Russia
or this module:
????I2S/IIS?????????I2S?????2??1-???
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 08:45 AM   #979
TioFrancotirador is offline TioFrancotirador  Poland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Poland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppy View Post
Yep. I have this one. It worked for me. However the one from twisteadPearAudio have space for u.fl connectors, if one should need that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 08:56 PM   #980
Ipoci is offline Ipoci  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Milano
Quote:
Originally Posted by TioFrancotirador View Post
Yep. I have this one. It worked for me. However the one from twisteadPearAudio have space for u.fl connectors, if one should need that.
Wow ... thanks both for quick comments!
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Signalyst DSC1Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki