Signalyst DSC1

Hi Pavel, your prototype looks like a nice development; thaanks for continuing to share your excellent work with us.

I know the only option is to self-assemble the boards, unless someone commits to getting a batch fabricated, so I've started to have a converstaion with a colleague who owns/uses a reflow oven for his own (non-audio) projects.

Anyway, I see your latest Beaglebone Botic distro includes RoonBridge as well as NAA, which could be useful. Any reason why I couldn't use the distro with my DSC2 project that uses Twisted Pear's Hermes/Cronus?

Anyway, I see your latest Beaglebone Botic distro includes RoonBridge as well as NAA, which could be useful. Any reason why I couldn't use the distro with my DSC2 project that uses Twisted Pear's Hermes/Cronus?
All the settings of this firmware were for optimizing sound quality with the new realtime 4.9.99-rt kernel and mute operation. Therefore, I see no problems for use with other hardware.
Maybe you are going to change the parameters - snd_soc_davinci_mcasp.mute_pins, snd_soc_davinci_mcasp.amanero_mute_pins and snd_soc_botic.ext_masterсlk.

Hi, Ray.
GB is closed, so would be better to write here.

If you mean botic_naa(ppy) v1.zip , it seems you had unziped archive on not empty uSD. After unzip you should have the same files and directory structure as inside botic_naa(ppy) v1.zip (see picture below). Just delete all and unzip again to root of uSD.

Pls add "snd_soc_davinci_mcasp.mute_pins=4" in uEnv.txt (if not added). MUTE pin should be the same as is "snd_soc_davinci_mcasp.amanero_mute_pins=4" (4 - my settings). So you will have 2 *mute_pins options.

With this extra parameter MUTE and delay funcionality is fully functional in Pavel's assembly but not working without it.

Attachments

• botic_naa.png
    botic_naa.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
Arch_Botic_DSC2.gz - it's a Pavel's image.

IMO - ANY version will work with ANY DSC 2.X and even any other I2S DAC (with some limitations).
It's Linux with Botic driver from Miero + luchoh pacth (Mute PIN functionality) for BeagleBone. No magic at all.

The only thing you need - edit optargs line in uEnv.txt with you settings (and add network config in botic_naa(ppy) v1.zip only) + correct wiring + external clocks for BeagleBone.
Hermes/Cronus/Rhea or iancanada McFIFO/McDualXO or new Pavel's DSC has all needed.

Last edited:
Two errors:
1. Files from the archive are written to an empty SD FAT format.
2. The partition on the SD disk must be active. This is the easiest way to make a free utility MiniTool Partition Wisard or the diskpart command How to Set Active Partition on Windows - Info | Remo Software

If you mean botic_naa(ppy) v1.zip , it seems you had unziped archive on not empty uSD. After unzip you should have the same files and directory structure as inside botic_naa(ppy) v1.zip (see picture below). Just delete all and unzip again to root of uSD.

Thanks Pavel and Vit.

I should have said that the directory listng I included was the last of several attempts; exploring 7Zip options resulted in the extra files appearing in the extract? I always unxipped to an empty, newly partitioned uSD card and tried booting several times from a card with a directory listing the same as the one Vit included?

I have been setting the partition as active using the Windows Admin toolset (I use Win10 Pro on my laptop)?

I will try again but use a different unzip tool.

Pls add "snd_soc_davinci_mcasp.mute_pins=4" in uEnv.txt (if not added). MUTE pin should be the same as is "snd_soc_davinci_mcasp.amanero_mute_pins=4" (4 - my settings). So you will have 2 *mute_pins options.

With this extra parameter MUTE and delay funcionality is fully functional in Pavel's assembly but not working without it.

The version of Pavel's image I downloaded already has this configuration, along with another setting about mute delay;

optargs=
snd_soc_botic.serconfig=DD--
snd_soc_botic.dai_format=17409
snd_soc_davinci_mcasp.amanero_mute_pins=4
snd_soc_davinci_mcasp.mute_pins=4
snd_soc_davinci_mcasp.amanero_mute_delay=400
snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=3
snd_soc_botic.clk_44k1=45158400
snd_soc_botic.clk_48k=49152000

Last edited:
Maybe some progress.

I repeated what I did yesterday, except for using a different unzip tool, and it now seems to have booted from the uSD card - weird?

I say 'seems to' because although when I booted from the uSD card the LEDs started flashing I can't see the BBB in my routers DHCP table so I have to review the network settings I entered.

Rebooting from eMMC to the previous image everything looks as it was and I can connect remotely using putty.

Here's the network config that I have entered - anything obviously wrong?

[network]
interface=eth0
address=192.168.0.100
netmask=255.255.255.0
gateway=192.168.0.1
nameserver=192.168.0.1
domain=mydomain

Does this mean that you might start a group buy for the new version of DSC2 with direct connection to Beaglebone?
One famous audio diy factory is ready to manufacture DSC2. But I think the final cost will be higher than homemade.
I am sure that when I find time for a BOM project, someone will definitely produce these versions of DSC2 and sell them.