Need Serious Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2014, 02:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need Serious Help

Grrr I hate when I lose a post especially when I have no idea what to write in the first place...

Please bear with me as I really don't know what I need myself. I have always been confused by the analog - digital domains and I am sick of wasting money buying equipment that doesn't do what I thought it was going to.

Basically I like to keep things fairly simple (minimalistic). I am looking to replace my aging Oppo BDP-83SE with an Oppo BDP-105D, I use the stereo analog outs directly into and amp, directly into speakers.

While this have delivered a great result because of the reduced amount of ADC-DAC conversions and not running through superfluous devices it is no good for my next step which is making a 7.1 home theatre system.

I had an AVR in my system (and sold it) and took it out due to not needing multiple inputs and outputs and degradation of the sound, but in order to use the latest and greatest surround sound technologies DTS, True HD etc. I need something in there to slice and dice the sound up.

I could be wrong (good chance) but if I plugged all my speakers up to the 7.1 analog outputs on the Oppo I still wouldn't have the surround sound decoding and I need or be able to take full advantage of the digital formats.

Hence I have been trying to work out what this mystery device is I need in between the Oppo HDMI output and the amps.

I thought I had it sussed out with this http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M51-Direct-Digital-DAC unfortunately it says "but there is no surround sound decoding or video processing."

I then thought I had stumbled onto the right thing with this (although dubious quality) http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/product/evolve-hdmi-multi-channel-dac/

Please help! I need to get to 7.1 surround sound, be able to get the most out of all the different video / audio media formats I have, at the BEST POSSIBLE resolution, with the least amount of devices possible (or least degradation possible).

Thanks in advance, and please keep the responses simple like the OP.

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 8th April 2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 8th April 2014, 03:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't know much about Oppo gear but I am pretty well certain that the Oppo's analogue outputs are all you need. Their website says they do decode all of the high res sound tracks ... other than putting an AVR in there I am 99% sure there is no 8ch hdmi DAC available that will improve on the Oppo so just stick with that
Old 8th April 2014, 03:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah I saw that in the Output section:

Analog Audio: 7.1ch, 5.1ch, stereo.
Dedicated Stereo Analog Audio: XLR balanced, RCA single-ended.
Coaxial/Optical Audio: Dolby Digital, DTS, up to 2ch/192kHz PCM.
HDMI Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio, up to 7.1ch/192kHz PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD.
HDMI Video: 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p/1080p24/4Kx2K, 3D frame-packing
720p/1080p24.

But from what I understand of digital technology is typically you can't do things like DTS-HD through the analog outputs that is reserved for HDMI and the couple of devices I linked to kind of break out the HDMI signal for use in the analog domain.

Again I don't have the slightest clue what I am taking about so really need specific and clear help if possible.
Old 8th April 2014, 03:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Just rereading (for the umpteenth time) the description...
Resolve To Evolve© in 2014; Add Blu-ray 1080p video resolution and Hi-Res Digital Surround To Your Analog System Without Dolby or DTS Processing.

This appears to do breakout only (no surround sound processing). I am guessing this would allow me to listen to my SACDs at the proper bit rate instead of the analog track on the disc??? but still doesn't address what I am trying to achieve.
Old 8th April 2014, 04:08 AM   #5
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

Paul,

The OPPO-105 does indeed do processing in their player, its nothing new.

You can connect your multich amp direct to OPPO to experience HD sound format, but the things that i dont know is that if the OPPO can adjust the gain for each ch and apply necessary delay for the surrounds and other useful processing (as i know you prob need this for your DIY speakers)

Im using Emotiva UMC-200, i think they are great for HT as it has EVERYTHING you needed for a high end custom HT. Im using their crossover for my SUBS with EQ as i dont use plate amps.

cheers
Henry
Old 8th April 2014, 06:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Good point Henry I failed to consider room correction etc. for home theatre sounding right. Looked at the Emotiva website and they have a new model coming that seems to tick all the boxes XMC-1 Processor | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monoblock amplifiers
Old 8th April 2014, 09:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

well, maybe they will release
it soon, its been few years now

or you can get krell foundation, somebody on SNA selling it.
Old 8th April 2014, 10:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

lol don't tempt me Henry I was looking at the Krell Foundation a few days ago.
Old 8th April 2014, 01:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

$9k not too bad
Old 8th April 2014, 01:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I know Greg is a big fan of the Krell stuff, but I don't know if I am too keen to spend that kind of money... but hey I've done stranger things.

Hide this!Advertise here!