Current state of wireless audio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2014, 07:46 PM   #1
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Current state of wireless audio

What are some of the better options out there for sending and receiving HiFi audio wirelessly?

I know of one vendor here who advertises a wireless kit which looks pretty good (see the attached pic), but without knowing of that, what is readily available?

I maintain a Logitech Squeezebox ecosystem in my own house and love it. However, my sister has asked me to come up with potential ideas for music distribution to be used in her new house. If she is not interested in setting up Squeezeboxes and a server, what would be a good idea? Rasberry Pis? Airport Express?

I think cutting holes in walls is off the table currently.

For speakers and amplification, I am leaning toward smallish speakers based on the recently popular Vifa TC9 fullrange, and multiple TPA3116 amps.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wireless audio.jpg (85.1 KB, 243 views)
Old 14th March 2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

I would say the squeezebox is still the easiest option, but RPi is a good alternative if you are up to a bit of linux tinkering.
Old 14th March 2014, 10:14 PM   #3
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, the more I think about it, Squeezeboxes are the best. In spite of my biases.
I'm up for mild linux tweaking (I have put together a few small linux-based squeezebox emulators). My brother in law is excited about the Ubuntu phone, so he's good.
Old 15th March 2014, 07:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Ah View Post
Yes, the more I think about it, Squeezeboxes are the best. In spite of my biases.
I'm up for mild linux tweaking (I have put together a few small linux-based squeezebox emulators). My brother in law is excited about the Ubuntu phone, so he's good.
Sounds like you have your answer!
Old 15th March 2014, 07:42 AM   #5
Turbon is online now Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I also built upon Squeezebox with touches and pis as players.
Works flawlessly

Regards
Old 16th March 2014, 12:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default New WiSA system...Game changer

Hi Guys,

I think a few million people are also asking is there a high quality robust and reliable Wi Fi system for music and or video....?
Yes there is The Wireless Speaker and Audio (WiSA?)Association

I have attended a demo of this using modified Onkyo / WiSA equipment and Quad electrostatics ( AV amp on Quads....!!)
Wow...WiSA this is every cable manufactures nightmare...Pristine, rock solid and Oh so simple to set up.
WiSA is about to do the cable industry what Sat Nav's have done to road atlas and map sales...Yea no more snake oil rip off cheats selling massive thick cables with powered jackets and risers...

Later this year you will see affordable ( mid market ) WiSA in AV chains.

Hope this helps
Derek.
Old 16th March 2014, 07:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill Audio View Post
Do we really need Yet Another Incompatible Wireless Technology to pollute the already quite full radio band (also used by wireless internet etc.)?

What is wrong with using the existing wireless IP infrastructure?
Old 16th March 2014, 10:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Why fix something thats broken...?

The existing WiFi system is not fit for pupose.
WiSA is very "fit"!
The Wireless Speaker and Audio (WiSA?)Association Compliance

With Wisa you can beam 24 bit 96KHz ( this will increase to meet DSD standards in 2015) around your home for stereo, multi room and home cinema system, 5.1, 7.2 and 9.2 ( again increasing with a Dolby Atmos on the horizon) without any lip sinc / latency issues.

All speaker distances, levels and phase settings are calibrated automatically and to a very high standard. The system can be calibrated in less than 30 seconds, so you can choose a hot seat if you are listening on your own, or average the sofa if its a family movie.

Flexibility, accuracy and ease of use...
Plus multi brand ie mix and match Pioneer, Anthem, Onkyo, Martin Logan, Polk, Definitive Technology, Teac, Sharp, Kilpsch, Bang & Olufsen, and a whole bunch of others....Membership is increasing fast. The Wireless Speaker and Audio (WiSA?)Association Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

WiSA is not just another anything
It is unique, much needed and will save customers a fortune by massively simplifying installing everything from a basic stereo to a complex whole house plus home cinema install....
Massive reduction in cables, packaging and energy...Great for the planet too!

I am not associated with WiSA but I am a huge fan of this technology.
Cheers
Derek.
Old 16th March 2014, 10:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill Audio View Post
WiSA is not just another anything
It is unique, much needed and will save customers a fortune
Ah, I see.
Old 16th March 2014, 10:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member