Current state of wireless audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
What are some of the better options out there for sending and receiving HiFi audio wirelessly?

I know of one vendor here who advertises a wireless kit which looks pretty good (see the attached pic), but without knowing of that, what is readily available?

I maintain a Logitech Squeezebox ecosystem in my own house and love it. However, my sister has asked me to come up with potential ideas for music distribution to be used in her new house. If she is not interested in setting up Squeezeboxes and a server, what would be a good idea? Rasberry Pis? Airport Express?

I think cutting holes in walls is off the table currently. :D

For speakers and amplification, I am leaning toward smallish speakers based on the recently popular Vifa TC9 fullrange, and multiple TPA3116 amps.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Attachments

• wireless audio.jpg
    wireless audio.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 312
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, the more I think about it, Squeezeboxes are the best. In spite of my biases. :D
I'm up for mild linux tweaking (I have put together a few small linux-based squeezebox emulators). My brother in law is excited about the Ubuntu phone, so he's good. :D

New WiSA system...Game changer

Hi Guys,

I think a few million people are also asking is there a high quality robust and reliable Wi Fi system for music and or video....?
Yes there is The Wireless Speaker and Audio (WiSA?)Association

I have attended a demo of this using modified Onkyo / WiSA equipment and Quad electrostatics ( AV amp on Quads....!!)
Wow...WiSA this is every cable manufactures nightmare...Pristine, rock solid and Oh so simple to set up.
WiSA is about to do the cable industry what Sat Nav's have done to road atlas and map sales...Yea no more snake oil rip off cheats selling massive thick cables with powered jackets and risers...

Later this year you will see affordable ( mid market ££) WiSA in AV chains.

Hope this helps
Derek.

Why fix something thats broken...?

The existing WiFi system is not fit for pupose.
WiSA is very "fit"!
The Wireless Speaker and Audio (WiSA?)Association Compliance

With Wisa you can beam 24 bit 96KHz ( this will increase to meet DSD standards in 2015) around your home for stereo, multi room and home cinema system, 5.1, 7.2 and 9.2 ( again increasing with a Dolby Atmos on the horizon) without any lip sinc / latency issues.

All speaker distances, levels and phase settings are calibrated automatically and to a very high standard. The system can be calibrated in less than 30 seconds, so you can choose a hot seat if you are listening on your own, or average the sofa if its a family movie.

Flexibility, accuracy and ease of use...
Plus multi brand ie mix and match Pioneer, Anthem, Onkyo, Martin Logan, Polk, Definitive Technology, Teac, Sharp, Kilpsch, Bang & Olufsen, and a whole bunch of others....Membership is increasing fast. The Wireless Speaker and Audio (WiSA?)Association Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

WiSA is not just another anything
It is unique, much needed and will save customers a fortune by massively simplifying installing everything from a basic stereo to a complex whole house plus home cinema install....
Massive reduction in cables, packaging and energy...Great for the planet too!

I am not associated with WiSA but I am a huge fan of this technology.
Cheers
Derek.

With Wisa you can beam 24 bit 96KHz ( this will increase to meet DSD standards in 2015) around your home for stereo, multi room and home cinema system

Just want to point out that I have been doing that (albeit only 2-channel) over wifi to 8 separate rooms/devices since 2005 or so, using the squeezebox system. Then there is Apple AirPlay, but that is limited to 44.1 kHz, of course...

WiSA does not make lager, but if it did...!

For sure,

Lots of Sonus & Squeezebox, variations, plus Apple and the clones and then everyman and and his dog has a dongle ( dogs dongles!) and a blue tooth to beam over low band width audio....

Try using these technologies to beam your Blu Ray or 4K video (next year) plus 9 channels of DTS Master Audio all automatically in sync with zero lag....!

Cheers
D.

Try using these technologies to beam your Blu Ray or 4K video (next year) plus 9 channels of DTS Master Audio all automatically in sync with zero lag....!

Why would I? This thread is about the state of wireless *audio*. While I like multiroom audio, I have no need for centralized multiroom home cinema distribution - I watch movies in my entertainment room, and TV on my tablet or laptop.

Stay away from the light!

Julf, you shouldn't...Your clearly happy with your lot.

On the other hand for the majority of music lovers....

WiSA offers much higher quality, reliability, flexibility.
Plus, dare I say it the "V " word, Video!
Yes all those unenlightened people who enjoy movies and concerts on TV, they will appreciate WiSA.

WiSA is a global product for everyone, not a niche geek product for the minority.

Cheers
D.

May I ask you to read the technical info on the WiSA website I linked to

I did, that's why I had to ask.

robust, no dropouts, 24 bit 96KHz, their patented low jitter receiver / transmitter technology, its all good stuff

It is all good stuff, but in no way better than all the other 24/96 buffered technologies that we already have (perhaps apart from slightly lower latency - something that only matters for video).

That's why I am wondering what you base your claim of "higher quality" on. Lower latency is not "higher quality".

Phew so glad I found you...

Hi Julf,

Well your understanding or their technology is clearly greater than mine....
I would ask you urgently please do contact all the WiSA members and enlighten them before they go wasting their money investing in technology that you already have....
Phew lucky I didn't buy any gear at that demo....

But the funny thing is it sounded so much better than any Lynn, Naim, Dynaudio, Sonos Apple etc...

Cheers
D.

Impressive...

Hi Julf,

I am humbled in your presence...
Your ability to assimilate the WiSA technology and dismiss it so quickly is nothing short of inspiring...
Indeed you have proved "resistance is futile" against one such as you.

Now that you have shown me the errors of my ways , I am now ready to follow your teachings and to close my mind to anything new....Unless you approve of it first, my Lord.

PS

Great spot with the spelling of Lynn....You really are a special case...English literature as well digital processing systems....

Your command of the English Language is sooooo much better than my Flemish or Duttch...What language is spoken in Bellgum or is it Neatherlands, never sure....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.