Hifimediy DDX320 opinions: Pure Digital Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I didn't know whether to post this in the digital line level forum, or the Class D forum, but I chose this one as my question relates to DAC elements more that the amps.

Has anyone had any experience with Hifimediy DDX320 pure digital spdif input amps? Hifimediy DDX320v2.2 2.1 Digital Amplifier

I had thought that one would be a neat solution to replacing a SONOS Play 5, and have a fridge-top 2.1 music player in the pipeline. I am sure that it will be ideal for this use.

The more that I research the benefits of pure digital amplifiers, the more I think that they are an extremely elegant solution, and perhaps represent the way forward in many areas of audio.

I have a fairly high-end three-way active speaker build in the planning stages. I have the drivers already (Scan Speak R2904/7000 Tweeter, 15M4531 Midrange, 22W8851 Woofer), and am deciding the best way to build a system for them. Digital Spdif or Toslink input only (CD player, or SONOS Connect).

I have largely decided to make it minidsp based, and have been leaning towards the miniSHARK > Curryman DACs > Hifimediy V2/V1 amps, or Hypex UCD180HG - much more expensive :(

This is fairly complicated, but simpler (and cheaper) that the TP Buffalo 8 channel 12S solution that I had looked at earlier, as it is tried and tested with a good wiki from Curryman.

There is not much reported on the Hifimediy DDX320 except in its developemnt thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/172050-another-project-all-digital-ddx-amplifier.html Anyone have experience of these?

A much simpler (and possibly better) solution than even the miniSHARK > Buffallo > Hypex route, would be Minidsp Nanodigi > Hifimediy DDX320 (just using it in 2.0 mode. Very little soldering. One power supply: Connex SMPS500.

Some accounts of the DDX320 say that the overall SQ result exceed the usual good quality DAC and Class D amp solution.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Yeap. have one.

I wanted to try it because the good price. Forgett it iy your speakers need current. Tried it with three speakers : Boston Lynnfield 400L, Proac D15 and Kef 104/2 ref.

It's good for the price and a little system if your speakers is > 90/92 DB and IMHO if the lowest point of the impedance curve is > to 4 ohms ! Or the impedance curve is like the Sotchi downhill... accident !

But my final opinion is that the sound is poor for a system you listen to everyday. I have a tweaked NAD amp 2100 Monitor which is far better with its 60 Watts for driving speakers with big XOver and 5 drivers per speakers like the Kef 104/2 : in bass impact and sound quality. Here (92 DB/4 ohms) the Hifimediy splits...lake of power !

But it's not a review against this cheap little amp wich is fantastic for its price to do a cheap second system : just need a streamer and a pair of speakers.

I didn't try myself but to save money i will go for hypex for the bass in an active system and why not if you can setup the volume, classic semi-conductor for mids and tweeters...

EG this link for amps is a good idea : http://www.audiodesignguide.com/CheapSystem3/index2.html

Sharc and curry man seems to be the cheapiest way to go active with quality...and no headachs. I thinked about that some month ago but stop because lake of money.

IMHO...

Eldam

Last edited:
On 4 ohm 86db'ish full range Mark Audio I like ddx320 very much, better than NAD (stock). Also on old BeoLab Penta3's I disconnected the 150watt rms mono AB power amp and used the DDX320 which was much better sounding on all soundlevels except very very loud. For ~$100 the DDX320's SQ is very good, I also use it with connex smps500, which probably is too big:) If you spent $1000's on well selected components I do believe higher SQ is possible LOL but this $100 I do not regret. (Problems with DDX320 I had were all direct or indirectly related with remotecontrol. I did not search for remote controlled amp, but DDX has it, and with that came some frustration/problems. Last few months the remote control doesn't work anymore AND now DDX320 is without other problems, so I won't be looking to fix remote(reception) LOLOL)

Oh forgot:) Funny enough, to me, I discovered my Opera (as cd-transport) sounds better with Toslink than with spdiff coax (tried all kinds of spdiff coax, really liked sound, but Toslink somehow seems to sound little better)

Toslink have naturally galvanic isolation. Following spdif standard in implementing coax out, also have transformer coupled output to have galvanic isolation. Unfortunatly many products do not have transformer coupled output, and therefore ground loops can occur. I hope you Opera have implemented the coax out correct.

You must notice SounCheck has high efficienty speakers from proffesional lines if I remember...)

+1 one for QP, because of the embeded DAC (and pre : you can swap between different sources with the remote control or the volume button).

But still thinking the sound is not natural (with all my speakers and Squeeze Box Duet and CDplayers as sources).

If one Pound is one Pound I will thinking about it twice (but maybe high efficienty bass drivers with not too low impedance curve). It's designed for around 6 ohms.

IMHO will go for the Shark and Curry module in I2S mode, with the saving money in wires, will go for bi-polar for the mid-tweet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.