Hacking digital audio from car stereo - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2013, 07:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hacking digital audio from car stereo

Hi all

So i'm trying to extract some digital audio from a particular car stereo. It's a Sony MEX-BT4100U (current 2013 model). It has input sources: AM/FM tuner, CD transport, USB media, Analogue AUX in and Bluetooth audio.

I've been picking through the service manual (https://docs.sony.com/release/MDSM/989355102_sm.pdf) and it appears that, typically, it's one big analogue switcher with modern digital bits bolted on.

Here's my interpretation of the block architecture for signal path:

Click the image to open in full size.

So my best hopes for anything pure digital from this unit are USB and/or CD audio. From what I can gather, the CD transport (DAX-25A), outputs a raw signal which the Sony ASE chip handles (it's described as a Head Amp).

It appears they have implemented a 32-bit ARM micro (!) mainly to handle USB comms/filesystem stuff. This seems to send audio digitally to the ASE/DSP chip using the 'BSIF' protocol. I was hoping for I2S but the datasheet for the MCU specifies multi-purpose ports, supporting I2S, SSP (SPI/Microwire) and BSIF.

Unfortunately I know nothing about BSIF and can hardly find anything about it on-line.

My goal is to get a clean digital output from either the CD transport or USB media source. I have a feeling the CD one would be very difficult. The USB option isn't looking particularly wonderful either. My logic analyser supports protocol definition for I2S but not BSIF.

Any thoughts on this folks?
Old 31st December 2013, 10:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Lots of views, anyone?
Old 31st December 2013, 07:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's difficult to see what would be hackable, but in any digital audio system, you can always pick off the I2S data and clocks and plop that onto your physical DAC & analog stage.
Old 5th January 2014, 08:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicform View Post
It's difficult to see what would be hackable, but in any digital audio system, you can always pick off the I2S data and clocks and plop that onto your physical DAC & analog stage.
Yeah, if only it were that easy with this one

Hide this!Advertise here!