OPPO`s HA-1 Headphone amplifier - discussions, upgrading, mods... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default OPPO`s HA-1 Headphone amplifier - discussions, upgrading, mods...

Well, a new Oppo product is to come quite soon.
Will the modders have a look on it? Of course, positive answer...

As we are already used, Oppo came out with products which gave to modders nice opportunities. So we will see what about, when some more details it will be available for HA-1.
I found already some pictures (it looks like are taken on the prototype), so we may have a first look inside.
Quite compact and solid device, which use analogue PSU(s), mainly an USB DAC with some few other facilities, with a large graphic display (nice). Is to be seen a more sophisticated clock circuit, which it seems to me to generate a main clock signal, and then distributed further to other devices inside (for sure the DAC chip). Is also to be seen that Oppo will no more use the digital volume available for ES9018, but they chosen a more classical way of using the analogue volume. I think is a nice/clever decision.
In the pictures is also to be seen the digital graphic/controller board, while the DAC and PSUs it seems to be on the lower level PCB. Actually this board it may be more interesting for those who knows already few earlier Oppo products. My first observation is that it will not be very easy to access the DAC board in the Oppo`s design of this device. Maybe not just by chance design...
So, let`s wait and see more in the near future...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oppo-Headphone-Amp-2.jpg (810.9 KB, 745 views)
File Type: jpg Oppo-Headphone-Amp1-3.jpg (898.4 KB, 704 views)

Last edited by Coris; 25th December 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 25th December 2013, 09:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

HA-1 back panel...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HA-1 back panel.jpg (501.6 KB, 639 views)
Old 5th January 2014, 04:16 PM   #3
eganz1 is offline eganz1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Yulong’s Sabre DA8

Well, this certainly looks very interesting. I'll be looking forward to more details and to A review.

In the meantime, one could perhaps compare it to Yulong’s new Sabre DA8

Amazon.com: YuLong SABRE DA8 DSD 32Bit 384KHZ DAC Decoder&Amplifier black 2013 version: Electronics

with the review here:
Yulong Sabre DA8: ES9018 DAC At Its Finest | DACs, Desktop Headphone Amps, DSD Players, $1000-$5000
Old 6th January 2014, 08:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

After a quick view and a subjective comparing of these two devices, it seems to me that Oppo amp it may be at least a class over Yulong ...
However, using of a large graphic display with few screens to choose in between of vu-meters types and another informations to be shown, is a modern, never seen before approach, and quite classy for a such device. To not talk more about the chosen analogue volume design...
While the graphic display solution it may be a gimmick, it still yet to be seen/heard the main functions of this amp combo device... So, we have to wait a little bit more.

Last edited by Coris; 6th January 2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 21st June 2014, 07:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Anyone tested and listened to HA-1? Tweaks? Thoughts?
Old 21st June 2014, 08:43 PM   #6
eganz1 is offline eganz1  United States
diyAudio Member

Review at Oppo Headphone Amplifier HA-1: Up Close | Real HD-Audio
and OPPO HA-1 Headphone Amplifier Review - HomeTheaterHiFi.com
Old 21st June 2014, 09:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Saw them already, thanks for the links. I'm more interested on opinion from some DIY-er having Oppo-rtunity to lay his hands on it.
Old 22nd June 2014, 07:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Looking at the measurements (on HomeTheatreHiFi page4) the hash of mains-related frequencies below 2.5kHz is ripe for getting rid of. Extra capacitance and LC or RC stages methinks....
Old 26th June 2014, 08:41 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, well it were out at least... Very nice! I have not been here for quite long time ago...
It looks awesome ! So, we may take a closer look...

After looking at the measurements in a linked review, I may say that shows overall good, specially in the upper spectre, but I may notice a quite noisy spectre in the lower end... Sabre chip can "pass through" 80Khz without problems at 192Khz sampling. I should like to see on measurements an well expended spectre in the highs, than just cutting off after 20khz...
I also agree with abraxalito ...
Looking at the inside picture, it looks quite carefully designed. But however the details are not to be seen in a simple picture out there... To be continued...

Last edited by Coris; 26th June 2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 26th June 2014, 09:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I may review ("soft") my critics about the high spectre bandwidth... I have exceed the time allowed to editing in my previous post.
It looks not so bat at least with -2dB at 60Khz...

Hide this!Advertise here!