CS8412 to EIAJ or I2S - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2013, 06:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CS8412 to EIAJ or I2S

It's been ages since I used a CS8412, but I've forgotten my basic DIYs and am lazy anyway ... it's easier to pose a dumb query here as I'm sure the answer is easy for many of you...

I've got two DAC types:

Philips TDA1545A (accepts only EIAJ data)
Philips TDA1543, TDA1541A (accept only I2S data).

EIAJ and I2S are, of course, incompatible signal formats. So for a Philips CDP I have that came with stock TDA1543, I had to create a special I2S-to-EIAJ converter (using a bunch of 74HCs, etc) to get the CDP's decoder to "talk" to the EIAJ-based TDA1545 DAC.

However (and TTBOMK), all schematics that I've seen using CS8412 + TDA1545 or CS8412 + TDA1541/TDA1543 have direct connections for the WS (FSYNC), CLK, DATA lines.

How does one config. the CS8412 to spit out I2S or EIAJ signals ... or am I missing something obvious?

Thx!!

Last edited by hollowman; 17th December 2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 17th December 2013, 08:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Use TDA1387T (SOT96-1) which is a smd variant of TDA1545A that can accept I2S signal directly...no glue logic needed.
Old 17th December 2013, 08:30 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
The CS8412 has various output modes and yes it can be configured to drive both EIAJ and I2S without needing any glue logic. Table 3, page 24 is the relevant one. You'll note that mode 2 is I2S compatible and I seem to recall mode 5 works with TDA1545A.
Old 17th December 2013, 08:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Stay ON-TOPIC, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparatusonitus View Post
Use TDA1387T (SOT96-1) which is a smd variant of TDA1545A that can accept I2S signal directly...no glue logic needed.
Right ... but that's not what I asked...

Rather ...
If I want to use a EIAJ DAC (TDA1545A), why, do I have to to CONVERT to EIAJ in a CD player that orig. has an I2S-based DAC (TDA1543, TDA1541, etc.)? I.e., the CD player's decoder only spits out I2S.

But ... (and by all means correct me if I'm wrong)...
Why don't I have to convert to EIAJ (or I2S) for any-format DAC (TDA1454, TDA1543/41) if I am using a Digital Audio Interface Receiver IC, like CS8412, that also spits out the same three-signal lines (WS, CLK, DATA).
Or is there some set pin or other simple config. on the Receiver chip that allows one to select its output format .... or do Receivers like CS8412 spit out some kind of "universal" one-size-fits-all datastream that makes my query moot?
Old 17th December 2013, 08:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
The CS8412 has various output modes and yes it can be configured to drive both EIAJ and I2S without needing any glue logic. Table 3, page 24 is the relevant one. You'll note that mode 2 is I2S compatible and I seem to recall mode 5 works with TDA1545A.
Thx ... I'll ck that out ...

One more somewhat-related query:
Do any of these Receiver ICs, like CD841x, also have WS/CLK/DATA as inputs (i.e., in addition to the usual SPDIF-data input)? ... this would allow them to be used as a one-chip I2S <--> EIAJ converter.
Old 17th December 2013, 08:50 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
None that I'm aware of. I have a schematic on my blog which with the addition of a single flip-flop can be used to do I2S-EIAJ conversion. Its a handful of cheap logic though, not a single chip.
Old 17th December 2013, 11:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The almost-"single"-chip design proposed on this forum some time ago does not work, as I noted in that same thread.

I was able to get the following to work:
Click the image to open in full size.
...but it's hardly compact or elegant, on my Veroboard version:

There is a marketed version that came out not too long ago from diyparadise ...it may use fewer ICs (can't see other side of PCB, so not sure about components used)...
Old 17th December 2013, 01:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If minimum chip count is your aim then Tam Lin's schematic (left in the comments on my blog) is easily the winner - it would probably need just one extra half-chip to delay WS by a single clock cycle. It is however considerably more expensive and power hungry than my own solution.
Old 17th December 2013, 03:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
If minimum chip count is your aim then Tam Lin's schematic (left in the comments on my blog) is easily the winner - it would probably need just one extra half-chip to delay WS by a single clock cycle. It is however considerably more expensive and power hungry than my own solution.
I don't know enough about the Lin design to tell if it'll work. My prev. experimentation with a several diff. designs utilizing fewer logic ICs did not work.

BTW ... from that same blog page, looks like you took a crack at this issue yourself (??) here ...
Old 17th December 2013, 03:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes, that was my second build of the device whose schematic is shown (albeit with one correction). Still working fine.

Hide this!Advertise here!