Modifying the Subbu V3 DAC - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2014, 10:36 PM   #221
GaryB is offline GaryB  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertli View Post
It was completed couple days ago and is under breaking in.
Albert - congratulations! Looks like you did a good job putting things together. You even got the JG buffer wired up point to point - good job. Let us know how you like it after you've had a chance to listen to it for a while. And remind everyone about any changes you made to the build from the BOM.

Thanks,
---Gary
Old 19th March 2014, 11:00 PM   #222
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Certainly a nice build but the heatsink on LM723 (and not on the output transistor) is intriguing ....

Maybe the picture is deceiving but try to keep the SPDIF wiring somewhat more away from the output signals.

You connected the case to PE, that is good. You also connected the audio GND directly to the case so to PE. In your DAC "PE = audio GND" ... There are some doubts regarding that. You will have a ground loop for sure if sources also have audio GND connected to PE.

Last edited by jean-paul; 19th March 2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 20th March 2014, 12:01 AM   #223
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
Albert - congratulations! Looks like you did a good job putting things together. You even got the JG buffer wired up point to point - good job. Let us know how you like it after you've had a chance to listen to it for a while. And remind everyone about any changes you made to the build from the BOM.

Thanks,
---Gary
It is running and very quiet, no noise at all. Will certainly report after some serious listening.
Old 20th March 2014, 12:04 AM   #224
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Certainly a nice build but the heatsink on LM723 (and not on the output transistor) is intriguing ....

Maybe the picture is deceiving but try to keep the SPDIF wiring somewhat more away from the output signals.

You connected the case to PE, that is good. You also connected the audio GND directly to the case so to PE. In your DAC "PE = audio GND" ... There are some doubts regarding that. You will have a ground loop for sure if sources also have audio GND connected to PE.
Thanks for the heads up. Everything is good and quiet. Sounds good too.
Old 20th March 2014, 03:13 AM   #225
GaryB is offline GaryB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default As good as it gets?

I've been comparing the set up I described in post # 183 to my reference DAC. Just to recap, my current best sounding V3 DAC consists of:
--- V3 DAC with cap modifications described throughout this thread. C22 is a 470uf Nichicon FPCAP. C35 is a 4.7uf Wima MKS2. C4 is 3.3uf Wima MKS + 0.1uf MLCC.
--- V3 power supply upgraded to LT1764a with C-L-C pre-filter
--- JG buffer/filter with 150pf cap swapped to Wima FKP
--- PS for JG buffer is +-15v using TPS7A4700 regulator chip

My reference DAC for the last 2 years has been an ES9018 DAC based on the Twisted Pair Buffalo III kit. I use the latest shunt regulators from TP, outputs forced into current mode with low value resistors, transformer conversion from balanced to single ended, JFET buffer.

With the latest power supply changes and the addition of the JG buffer, I find that the V3 DAC is now sounding as good or perhaps a bit better than my ES9018 DAC. That is really a great accomplishment on two fronts. First the ES9023 project costs significantly less than the ES9018 project. Second, the ES9018 has embarrassed some very expensive DACs, so to meet this standard means it's playing in a very exclusive club.

My kudos to JP and Subbu for their efforts in bringing us this little DAC and their assistance in getting its sound up to this level.

All the best.
---Gary
Old 20th March 2014, 06:58 AM   #226
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
It would be nice if you asked us first if we like our design being available in a copied/improved/changed version (better or not, is not relevant here). When you asked for it I sent the schematics to you as you wanted to do your own PCB design which is fine. You never stated the PCBs or the design would be available to others.
My apologies, I was going to double check before any real data was released, from our brief conversations and the fact that the data is covered under the creative commons attribution non-commercial share alike 3.0 unported licence (the same licence I release all my photos under). You had said you wish you has put the PSU on the same board, so once I did my simple version I started I started adding the PSU, then read that people were adding the JG buffer, so thought I would add that for fun. These things were done as I thought the DIY community could benefit from the work, and I did not believe I was breaking the above licence, and as said before a I released any data it would have been sent to yourself for approval/denial.
I got a bit carried away with the spirit of this site and as said thought it would be useful for others and a bit of positive contribution from myself.
On this note I will withdraw all data and have no further involvement.
Regards
Marc
Old 20th March 2014, 07:19 AM   #227
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Did you read my post right ? It is a simple direct post with direct statements or questions coming from a non native english speaker with a handicap for word play. No need for blah blah, preliminary conclusions and other noise. Also no need for apologies. Positive contributions are good and your knowledge and experience are well regarded. Getting carried away is one of the things that make this hobby fun so no hard feelings whatsoever.

Last edited by jean-paul; 20th March 2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 20th March 2014, 07:43 AM   #228
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My apologies were because I believe I have over stepped the mark (as we say), as you said I should have contacted you first, and I did not. I got caught up with the excitement (possibly not the correct word) and enthusiasm of this thread.
When I have finally finished all my versions of the circuit all data will be forwarded to yourself for further consideration.
Regards
Marc
Old 20th March 2014, 02:39 PM   #229
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Thank you Marce for your links above. It's very interresting for improve the knowledge of fellows like me.

I believe it's compatible with the spirit of this thread :

1) The original version has already a great result with the BOM, and people can not do better without spending more or take risks (more money, loss of time, pcb break, own flavor way, ...).

2) This particular thread is for the fanatics, poets, hobbyst, Hobbits, assuming the risks, liking their hobby and taking fun with it.... each at their own level of skill and knowledge. blessed version has already its own thread.

J-P is sometimes rude because he has 1) in mind for the best interests of majority of diyers and he practiced 2) himself with Subbu to offer a more better version. (is it not V3 ? Yes it is). He maybe scares that people waste the 1) (I'm sure he doesn't scare than people like Garry can do better in the spirit of Demning wheel he practice himself). he remains a brave chap... (i use its vocabulary here)

I think this thread is respectull of this work and have already in mind 1) & 2)... Exchanges are positiv and big boys are free to waste, break or improve their toy. 2) substract nothing to 1) and the merits of the papas' designers.

You can sometimes see here rare people between the two approachs with judgement of valors about others who doesn't know themselves where they reside . stop the ego, it adds nothing.

My two cents and humble opinion, i like the idea than this post add nothing as people here are big boys but sometimes it's better when it is wrote. J-P and Marce, both your opinions are important as your knowledge is usefull for most of them.
Old 26th March 2014, 08:09 PM   #230
freeman is offline freeman  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share my latest pictures of my favorite DAC.
I included photo of my bi-amped speaker system just for your reference. top unit is stock Nola Mini. Bass unit is TiVi M8a bass reflex crossed at 350Hz.

For C17, I have a 1uf X7R bypassed with 1nf. I hope you can see it. The 1nf is 0603. For C35 and C4 I use 1uf Wima. It seems the best set up for me. I think I've used every combination of mods on this thread. I think I ready to close the case. The PSU of course is the Salas BJT shunt. I think it is an improvement over the standard PSU. Bass has extra definition plus extra degree of smoothness with the Salas. Thanks everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030445.jpg (731.7 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg P1030446.jpg (870.5 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg P1030447.jpg (868.2 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg P1030448.jpg (842.3 KB, 179 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!