Build thread - building the Subbu DAC V3 SE - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2013, 07:22 AM   #81
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW, I have some of the 4 pin headers in my cart and they will come along when I add enough to warrant shipping costs. Hope whoever is reviewing/correcting the DAC BOM adds those numbers. Both X2 and X6 on the version I'm using have no vendor info on those two lines. There may be a newer BOM version available but don't know if the "final" has been developed or distributed yet.

Once that has been established, and if someone hasn't already done so, I'd be happy to build a one-click purchase shared shopping cart for a "standard" build for those who don't have parts on order yet. That's been helpful on some other projects.

Last edited by bcmbob; 14th November 2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 15th November 2013, 05:30 PM   #82
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

After Gary stated that a larger value for C22 would improve matters I only could get Panasonic FM 220/10 in time to try out. No time for measuring but to my ears it sounds a tad better. Not a very large difference but still... This is still with 1 f ceramic cap in parallel.

So feel free to experiment with larger values than 100 F for C22. Gary said 470 F was his choice but the ones I could get hold of don't fit on the PCB. The Pana FM 220/10 does fit exactly.

Last edited by jean-paul; 15th November 2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 15th November 2013, 09:12 PM   #83
Eric06 is offline Eric06  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Gary said 470 F was his choice but the ones I could get hold of don't fit on the PCB. The Pana FM 220/10 does fit exactly.
Perhaps this part then: 6SEPC470MW (polymer) or this one EEU-FR0J471 (electrolytic)
It does not need to be 10v. Right?

I need to read the polymer cap apps note for the ceramic cap.

Last edited by Eric06; 15th November 2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 15th November 2013, 10:19 PM   #84
GaryB is offline GaryB  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric06 View Post
Perhaps this part then: 6SEPC470MW (polymer) or this one EEU-FR0J471 (electrolytic)

I prefer the polymer caps to conventional electrolytic caps for this location. I tried some 220uf electrolytics first and similar to JP's observation, found it to be a small improvement. Changing to a 220uf polymer cap gave a much bigger improvement. And there was yet another big improvement moving up to 470uf polymer. All of this with the 1uf ceramic bypass cap. I want to try a 10uf bypass cap but haven't done that yet.

---Gary
Old 15th November 2013, 10:33 PM   #85
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric06 View Post

Both would fit but I could not get the SEPC cap this week. Farnell says it will be available 30th of December. I would try polymer as Gary has the best results with those.

Remember nothing has been measured with the polymer caps so you are on your own if you like to try. I can tell the Panasonic FM 220/10 is an improvement but a small one. The reg does not seem to oscillate but I can't verify that now. You can use caps with a voltage rating above 3.6 V so even 4 V types would be suitable although I think 6.3 V as a minimum would be wiser.

Last edited by jean-paul; 15th November 2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 16th November 2013, 03:53 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Sadly, this is turning out to be my hard luck (read stupid) build. I've dropped out because I missed getting R4 on the PS - twice. My big resistor package includes 1K, 1.5K and 1.8K pieces. Will any of those work and let me avoid waiting for another order?

Last edited by bcmbob; 16th November 2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 16th November 2013, 04:07 AM   #87
tofurky is offline tofurky  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
The polymer caps have such an incredible low ESR that they might cause a resonance circuit when paralleled with small value ceramic caps. I read all this yesterday evening and think polymer caps are very exciting but should be used with attention. Solid polymer caps can not just be used as a replacement in many many cases ! Manufacturers advise to use larger value bypass ceramic caps and explain the whole matter in white papers.
hi jean-paul,
on a similar subject, the united chemicon polymer caps specified for C2, C3, and C18 were OOS at both of my usual suppliers, so i took the liberty of making a substitution with a panasonic SEPC part.
APSA160ELL101MFA5G 100uF/16v 25mOhm esr
16SEPC100MW 100uF/16v 10mOhm esr

would the lower esr here cause potential resonance even when paralleled with the larger 4.7uF ceramics at C5, C7 and C19?

thanks,
-matt
Old 16th November 2013, 04:26 AM   #88
GaryB is offline GaryB  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
. . . I missed getting R4 on the PS - twice. My big resistor package includes 1K, 1.5K and 1.8K pieces. Will any of those work and let me avoid waiting for another order?
This resistor isn't critical and any of these will work. I'd start with the 1.5k.
---Gary
Old 16th November 2013, 04:28 AM   #89
tofurky is offline tofurky  United States
diyAudio Member

Default finished psu

here's the psu. just finished soldering the last components tonight (2200uF caps, bridge, led header, and transformer) and cleaning it. the picture doesn't do it justice; it's much shinier in real life
-matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psu-3.jpg (124.5 KB, 321 views)
Old 16th November 2013, 05:07 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

Thanks Gary.

Hide this!Advertise here!