Build thread - building the Subbu DAC V3 SE - Page 74 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2014, 11:15 AM   #731
bcmbob is online now bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Stixx inspired me to combine the V3 and an 02 headphone amp I'm using as a pre for some Pass amps. Haven't done any extended listening, but the pair sounds great together.

What came to mind was adding an 1/8" (the 02 is all 1/8") switching convenience jack for dual use in a final chassis build. Two questions:

1. The DAC maintains separate grounds on the output. Does combining them degrade the signal in any way? JP/Subbu must have had a reason to keep them discrete.

2. Is there an advantage to switching between RCA and barrel compared to just leaving both active? Does the V3 see the the open set as some kind of leak?

Barrel Audio Connector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barell.JPG (27.3 KB, 341 views)

Last edited by bcmbob; 11th February 2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 13th February 2014, 05:12 PM   #732
Eldam is online now Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

HI
I received my spare parts this morning and just populate the faulty ldo reg, no problem with the 50 mhz FOX XO... it sings like a "renard" !

The music flows, everything is allright. No Ziiiigouilliiiii or crips can be heard with the speakers !

Music feeling is good after few tunes. It's very "natural" , easy, highs are sweet and not glitchy. Timbres, tones are true. Maybe the soundstage, imaging are a little confused. Maybe violins in highs could be better but it's the best thing I've heard at home !

Will come back after different expensive tests, few tweaks with PS and caps to setup with my environment. Sure the sound can be improved and I will write a little listening reviews with the JG buffer (still waiting for the BOM to come from Mouser... because the Fastron inductor out of stock)

Thank you JP, Subbu, and others for tips. It helped me a lot. Beautifull dac? Yes...A "bravo" for the design and optimisation at such a low price.

regards
Eldam
Old 14th February 2014, 09:21 AM   #733
cedricb is offline cedricb  Europe
diyAudio Member

received my fully built PSU/DAC from korben; it's teeny-weeny!!
...I'm looking at a teeny-weeny chassis with a BNC, 2 RCAs and power jack at the back; anything ready available? :-)

Otherwise for a toslink connection (GP1FAV51RK0F); what do I need for the bypass capacitor (0.1 uf, no SMD please) on the receiver module? ...capacitor choice is a bit like black magic to me!
What's the general capacitor type/brand to use across the VCC/GND on analog or digital ICs? ...os-con?
Old 14th February 2014, 06:51 PM   #734
atupi is offline atupi  Romania
diyAudio Member

In your case can choose a ceramic one, leaded if you like.

Last edited by atupi; 14th February 2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 16th February 2014, 10:30 AM   #735
diyAudio Member

I have finished my build. It's got all recommended parts apart from the WIMA 4.7 in C35. Mine has the BC128 SAL-RPM.

I'll get it up and running in the next few days and report back on how it sounds.
Attached Images
File Type: png Finished-DAC.png (770.5 KB, 227 views)
File Type: png Finished-PS.png (696.5 KB, 220 views)
Old 16th February 2014, 10:57 AM   #736
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

It won't work as it is now as you're missing all beads...

Good looking build except for one thing: the solder joints of the ES9023 seem very brittle. It even looks like it hasn't been soldered.

Last edited by jean-paul; 16th February 2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 16th February 2014, 11:52 AM   #737
diyAudio Member

Indeed. I've left the beads off so that I can check voltages when I power it up.

I had more solder on the pads than I wanted, so I wicked some away. Admittedly, I did wick a bit more away than I had intended. While the pads are now only lightly tinned, the leads still have reasonable fillets so I decided not to redo them. I checked them very carefully with a magnifier.
Old 16th February 2014, 10:53 PM   #738
diyAudio Member

Default Another SUBBU DAC singing

Hi All,

Just to let you know my build of the Subbu dac is working.

I'm enjoying the dac at the moment via my stax headphone whilst typing this message.

Thanks to Subbu & Jean Paul (and Korben for the component group buy).
Old 16th February 2014, 11:25 PM   #739
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

OK, another dutchman having a good DAC. Let us know how it sounds after a few days.

Did you replace the 3.3 V reg for a 3.6 V one ? If not please be aware that the 130 kOhm must be changed if you keep the DAC running on 3.3 V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgtlover View Post
I had more solder on the pads than I wanted, so I wicked some away. Admittedly, I did wick a bit more away than I had intended. While the pads are now only lightly tinned, the leads still have reasonable fillets so I decided not to redo them. I checked them very carefully with a magnifier.
Reasonable is not a good word when building quality gear. They really look like dry joints. Resoldering would be a wise thing IMO or it must be that the chip has seen the soldering tool too many times now. If so it is maybe better to leave it like it is.

Last edited by jean-paul; 16th February 2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 17th February 2014, 09:06 AM   #740
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
...snip

Reasonable is not a good word when building quality gear. They really look like dry joints. Resoldering would be a wise thing IMO or it must be that the chip has seen the soldering tool too many times now. If so it is maybe better to leave it like it is.

When the designer suggests for a second time that I should touch up my solder joints, it's wise to pay attention

Shiny new solder joints
Attached Images
File Type: png Finished-DAC_2.png (709.0 KB, 171 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!