Build thread - building the Subbu DAC V3 SE

Next step anodizing.
Gold,gray or black can't make up my mind.
:confused:

Attachments

• dac.jpg
    dac.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 317
Beautifull box ! Wow ! Any cheap GB planned ? Aluminium is light :)

In your shoes I will put a connector at each side of the partition wall instead a hole to allow even more EMC isolation ? two tunnels for AC wires with a widther box if JG buffer used (need to be feeded by a separate supply) : to allow an AC plug at the bottom of the box but separated by a partition wall from the DAC board aera !

Will make the box a little bigger despite the big thick of the partition wall to move away more the PS unit from the pcb dac unit ? For a second PS (JG buffer) : PS compartiment splitted in two to isolate the traffos from each other ?).

And we will ask :D to adapt the new PS of Jean-Paul for a symetric +/- 15 V for the Joachim Gerrard buffer ! Nah, it will be only + 5V :p

Last edited:
And you can see Gary posted on the first page a link to Korben69 aka Phil voltages measurements picture on all the pins !

So it's easy to find if you reg(s) is broken, shorted, etc ! Look at the picture !

If one of the chip has a bad voltage measurement but the regs show an acurate voltage, you have to carefully resolder the chips pins with a magnifying glass and some flux ! Most of the time it is the Wolfson's chip which has a bad contact !

Hi,

started soldering Subbu DAC. When I soldered U3 mic I got the impression of a flash
while soldering the three side feet. Do you think I damaged the mic?

northernsky

Hi,

finally I completed DAC soldering and made the preliminary test, measuring VDC at L3-L6 without these inductors soldered.

I think the test is OK, but please give a confirmation, since I am not expert.
On one side of inductors I measured the expected VDC and on the other side I got obviously 0VDC as in the rest of the circuit. But only for L5 I get the measurement as in the picture in post #1 describing the test; for the others I get 3.2 or 3.6VDC on the reversed pin. But I assume is an error in the picture,
am I right?

Thank you

Northernsky

You're welcome Northernsky ;)
Please refer to Post #911 in this thread.
You'll find some usefull measures.

As you haven't populated L3/4/5/6, you can't measure further :)
BTW, 50MHz XO isn't fed, same comment for C17/22/13/8.

So, please check again your voltages on Tantalum C27/26/15/16.
Please confirm you've measured positive side of the caps (+).
If previous request is correct, then I suspect U3 (MIC5205 3.3V) to be faulty.
Check U3 pins 4 (Gnd) & 5 (Vout) values, according to attached pic.

Regards,
Phil

Attachments

• Nortehrnsky MIC5205.jpg
    Nortehrnsky MIC5205.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited: