Build thread - building the Subbu DAC V3 SE - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2013, 08:52 AM   #21
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Guys please don't use ceramic caps after the MIC regs. I would like to advise to use 4.7 uF tantalums before and after the regs. I was soldering 3 DACs yesterday evening and found that 1 uF X7R was mentioned in the BOM as an alternative. Please stick to the recommended tantalum caps.

MIC regs will oscillate with ceramic caps at their outputs !
Old 6th November 2013, 09:10 AM   #22
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Does that mean the Germans let you have your stuff?

JP, I wasn't totally clear about the alternate items. For some designs they represent upgrades. I get the impression this BOM is based more on availability from various vendors. Can you clarify?

I'm sorting /confirming the remaining Mouser parts I got yesterday and should start soldering presently. I went with the Radio Shack silver solder. Big difference in size. Got a picture but the site seems to be having graphics/gallery problems at the moment. I'll try to post it later.
Old 6th November 2013, 03:49 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Another orientation question. C5, 7, 15, ..... are polarity marked. Data sheet does not indicate if that is the standard (-) marking for caps.
Old 6th November 2013, 06:33 PM   #24
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi we tried to pick parts that perform good but some are easier to find. We choose standard industrial parts generally except for caps which I first try out in prototypes. My 3 pieces V3 are all made with different caps. The BOM is something some of you ask for religiously. I never make BOMs as I choose caps myself. Take for instance the aluminium pearl caps which are hard to get. Have to admit the aluminum pearl caps were chosen by me as they are a worthy replacement for Black Gate caps. Since I stock both I also try both. Subbu made the BOM and sends me the other standard parts.

*tantalum caps always have the positive pole marked in opposite to electrolytic caps. Don't ask me why, it only gives confusion but it is a fact. So the + is the thick line left of the text on the cap*

Too bad the data sheet says nothing about that, it should be described. The electronic industry choose to deviate from a standard but fails to make it clear at least that is what AVX does in their data sheet.

And yes the Germans let me have my stuff after I promised to have my stuff sent over (next time) with a proper value statement of all parts that are inside.

Last edited by jean-paul; 6th November 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 6th November 2013, 06:38 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

TNX
Old 6th November 2013, 09:59 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

This is really embarrassing, but with great effort, I managed to loose the DAC chip for the DAC before I could get it on the board. I know it's here - just can't put my finger on it. Had it yesterday.

I did note the chip I received with the boards did not match some of the numbers in the BOM. I'll order a new chip tonight - but want to make sure what was included in my kit wasn't a special series or die.

Mouser WM8804
Old 6th November 2013, 11:18 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

OOPS! Got U1 and U6 confused. WM8804 on order - still need ES9023.
Old 7th November 2013, 10:43 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Maybe it's not just me. I'm seeing U6 on the BOM I have listed as ES9023. The ES9023 is in place, but not at U6 - which is a five point pad similar to U3, 4, 5.

U1 is open and listed as WM8804 on the BOM, and is the part I received with the PCBs - I believe. That transceiver is what I misplaced and have ordered. Honestly, I didn't pay that much attention to the large multi-lead chips till assembly started.

So, does the BOM need some adjustments, or could I just have a version that doesn't reflect the final product? ---- or is it still just me ?????

I think that line on the BOM should read "U3-U5-U6, as I have one extra MIC5205-3.3.

With the exception of U1 and U6, all the surface mount parts are soldered on the board. I'll wait till the site gets the graphics upload problems corrected and I can post a photo before I finish with the through-hole parts.

Last edited by bcmbob; 7th November 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 7th November 2013, 11:47 AM   #29
Joschl is offline Joschl  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi bcmbob,
I also noticed that the BOM has not the correct designators for all parts.
You can use the silk screen together with the Schematics PDF to put the right parts in the right place.
U3, 5 and 6 are the 3.3V regs and U4 is the 3.6V reg. U1 and 2 are obvious...
Br
Josch
Old 7th November 2013, 11:52 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Thanks Josch, Did you start assembly yet? It's lonely out here

Hide this!Advertise here!