Project: Universal multichannel USB Audio 2.0 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2013, 07:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Project: Universal multichannel USB Audio 2.0

Hi there

I would like to write some words about my new project. I was looking for an universal multichannel USB audio board but I could not find any so I decided to make it myself.

It is a XMOS based board and can handle up to 4 stereo channels (in, out or in&out), maybe 5 but I am not sure yet ;-) I hope my proto will work fine, but in the next few weeks I am going to know it.

The board itself will be 50x50mm (2x2") and has all connections on a 2.54mm pitch header, so it is easy to connect. You could even use a IDC header for connection.

Master clock comes from two different osciallators (24.576MHz and 22.5792 MHz) and so I hope to get a low jitter audio board.

I thinks the most important facts are said, if you have questions, just ask ;-))

MB

Last edited by muntablues; 18th October 2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 18th October 2013, 05:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi MB,

Just bought an XTAG to do something similar, the whole XMOS thing looks quite interesting.

Assume you want this interface to plug into a PC - what are the licensing issues around the PC-side drivers ?

The 2 ch drivers are free, but the multichannel may not be, not sure.

... or you could be using multiples of 2ch.

Let me know if you want a second pair of eyes to peer at schematics.

Regards, Mark
Old 18th October 2013, 05:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Regarding XMOS they are just giving away some 2500 starkits, please check if you can still get one:

startKIT, the ultra-low-cost dev board for xCORE multicore microcontrollers | XMOS
Old 19th October 2013, 07:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark

2 ch driver are free if you buy XMOS chips for (I think) 1000$. But I think I will find a driver even if I have to buy it and Thesycon is a nice partner for that.

If I want to sell it in the near future I have to have a driver, so there is no way out ;-)

Thanks for review but its not neccessary. One of the XMOS guys took already a look at it...

MB
Old 19th October 2013, 11:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Wondering why the audio industry hasn't put pressure on Microsoft to include USB 2.0 audio class drivers for Windows. Wouldn't be big deal for them to implement.
Old 19th October 2013, 04:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You are right, but ASIO driver are still a problem and so you have to have your own driver if you want to sell a device...
Old 30th October 2013, 01:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi

The proto boards have just arrived and look good. I have to wait some more days to get the other parts (Xmos, crystal, ...).

I have attached a little picture from the board, if someone is interested...

MB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Board.JPG (318.4 KB, 385 views)
Old 31st October 2013, 12:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Nice board! Always good to see new DIY designs

May I ask whats the difference to USBStreamer from miniDSP?

regards, Daniel
Old 31st October 2013, 12:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

There is no big difference, but I don't really know USBStreamer.
I use an other XMOS chip, thats quite all. The only big difference could be, that my board can handle an external MCLK.

I will use this board as "master" board for all my different devices. So I will just change the analog pcb including DACs and firmware. The first device will have 3 stereo channels (PCM5102) with cinch output and 1 channel (PCM5100) with headphone output. I think it will be great for DJs and so on. I have testet PCM5102 some time ago and it is just a great DAC, so I am really excited to test the first analog board proto!

So it is not only a DIY board it will hopefully get the heart for my devices, but first I have to check if everything is working fine

regards MB
Old 28th November 2013, 06:48 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi there

After some time I got all parts for the first proto boards and now I have got 3 boards to test. Two days of testing and hard work are over and now I can say it is working! I still have some mistaces in the schematic, but it is no problem to solve...

I tested with PCM5102 and one stereo channel and everything looks fine!

Next step will be, finish the first 4 channel analog card schematic/layout and hopefully order it in a few days/weeks...

Regards MB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FirstTest.JPG (330.1 KB, 298 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!