Different Dac chips sound characteristics - consensus?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a dac based on*CS4398 and CS8416 better know as the Gigaworks dac. *It is modified with*600 ohm transformers on the output
Based on this thread very long thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/137976-experience-diy-dac.html
*1K/.001uf is used for the filter.

Also have a Sqeezebox Duet with Wolfson wm8501 dac .
Has some lampizator mods with output caps bypassed with lower ESR caps
And digital out mod.
*The Squeezebox Wolfson dac images better is more forward. Other than a *midbass bump, it's *more even across the frequencies. This gels much better with my Planar Speakers (Eminent Technology 8a)

The modified cs4398 dac sounds much cleaner, more detailed, more dynamic and better oomph. *But it doesnt engage me in the music the way the Wolfson Dac does.

Big question, is this the general sound characteristics of these dac chips?
I know there is much more going on other than just the chip, but I was wondering if it would be better for me to mod a Wolfson Dac, or go with another dac chip entirely.*PCM1794?*ES9018?

What are the general sounds characteristics of different dac chips?
Which dacs can be used with transformed on the outputs? *Would like to reuse them in a different project if possible.

Thanks for any help.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Of the various voltage out DAC chips I've used with transformers (CS, Wolfson, ESS, AKM, TI) I'd say that each had a slightly different flavor. The CS chips do seem to have plenty of dynamics and oomph. A large number of people who heard it would agree with you. Maybe the output buffer?

DACs with voltage outs have on-chip CMOS opamps. In general I find opamps' sound varies quite a lot with the quality of their power supply. I'd suggest using an external buffer (wide bandwidth) to lighten the PSU and opamp loading - AD8107 works very well for me driving a trafo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.