Xover with software : Async DSP or Sync PC ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Default Xover with software : Async DSP or Sync PC ?

Hi,

I have the project to go with Xover but with shareware plug in, like JRiver, Rephase... to work for my futur DIY planar (ESL or Magneplanar...hesitate)

My understanding is that there are two ways :

- One I call Asynchrone : I use a DSP which run the data in a separate box near the electronic rack : amps, sources... Acquisition measure are traken with a laptop with a micro and you load after your set up work on the DSP box whic ran the Software Xover in a plug in made for the DSP : the software and the setup are maid before on the Laptop.

One I call Synchrone : The measure acquisition, XoverSoftware, soundcard and In for datas (the stream or the music library) are in a PC, most of the time fanless and big enough to powersupply a good souncard: so PCI rather han miniPCI.

I don't believe in analog out with pci soundcard but see that some brand make good second box (sound card > numeric stream > second box with D/A and "good" analog stages for the amps before the sperakers' drivers.

I have some questions please for the ones who tried this way :

Am i right with above ?

As I have already squeezebox for digital library on a upnp server and Duett streamers with spdif output for dacs :

Is there soundcards or second/standalone box with spdif In and Sync or Async for the digital Xover and/or rooms treatments ?

I don't want to have all the time a laptop to play with my librairy but can have a little computer or a standalone professional converter near the amps. The laptop is in my mind to set up with the micro acquisition. The library has always its server and TCIP or wifi communication for the stremings flux with the Duett. So I talk only for xover, room correction.

My first hope is to have analog output to go with multiamp like hypex or else. Don't know if there are full digital crossover to go with multiple powerdac for drivers.

i understand that th volume and library management is one of the problem... but i have squeezebox Duett and want to go with Free for soft in speakers and rooms management.

DLCP is expensive for me and not very open, MiniDSP in three ways are expensive : both are async (I prefer) but not really open, MiniDsp seems better as i can understand with a light view. Any good 3 ways speakers PCI soundcard and/or second box with spdif In for my squeezebox ?

Thank you to add to my thoughs, I'm beginner here but have a good understanding with computers technology as IT... but never really mix my hobby with that...

Last edited by Eldam; 30th September 2013 at 07:24 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!