The best conditions for TP Buffalo IIISE - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2013, 04:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The best conditions for TP Buffalo IIISE

Hello folks,

I am pretty new at this site and this is my first thread in here..

I have assembled my Buffalo IIISE dac and I had some trouble with it, no sound on the output, but it seems to work out now..

I have read some threads regarding transformers directly on the dac output for I/V before an output stage. I don't have any experience with tranformers so I have been through this thread:Buffalo II & transformers

Joe Rasmussen put some examples on page 19. But I have to admit - All these post and meanings can confuse me a little..

That's why I am starting this:
I want the "best" terms of working conditions for my dac. I know about the brands Sowter and Lundahl.
I want to go fully ballanced with tubes at the output, with an amplifying circuit for both + and - (the rest of my setup is so)

On page 19 in the other thread, Joe Rasmussen posted example D, that looks interesting: The dac looks into an impedance close to zero, as I understand is best for this dac to performance. But I want the - pol to be amplified by tubes to.. And there is only one primary on the trafo: What about this one from Sowter for an example: Sowter Type 9545 DAC INTERFACE TRANSFORMER
There is two primary windings - One for + and one for - Fully balanced.

30mV out in Joe's example is not much and will need allmost an RIAA amp. So I thought of an stepup trafo like the Sowter I gave as an example, and after the trafo, a tube amplifying circuit with decent gain for both + and - and then we go

I'm not a technician (I'm building quality loudspeakers as my hobby) so maybe I'm in deeb for sure.. Tell me, am I on the totally wrong path here?

Please help me out, it could be nice if someone could tell me which trafo (brand, type and resistors) I should go for.
I know I should try alot of different trafo's and stuff but financially its not an option at the moment..

Is there someone who can lift the fog for me

Best regards and a nice weekend
Vingborg
Old 18th September 2013, 12:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The "best" does not exist. Frankly, if you intend to use transformers on the output of the ESS dac on your Bufallo, why do you then want to add the complication of a tubed output/buffer?

Fwiw, I have Bufallo dacs with Lundhal transformers as well as custom made quadfillar wound transformers from Joe Rasmussen. I haven't really seriously made a back to back comparison though the dac with the quadfillar wound transformers is in the system most of the time.

You really should have posted your question on the Twisted Pear sponsored part of this forum as a continuation of the thread on the BII and transformers. The moderators should merge your thread with that one.
Old 19th September 2013, 04:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Good morning,

Thanks for your attention

As far as I have research'ed, the Sapre 9018 chip works best when it looks into a very low impedance - Close to zero and when it does that, 9018 works in current mode and the output signal is then very low.. I don't have much experience but I do have observed that many setups uses transformers for the I/V conversion and tubes for the signal to reach correct output for the preamp.

I have the feeling that opamps is not an option when it comes to tranformers for the I/V conversion instead. Maybe some people had an opinion about which brand and type of trafo and resistors there could be the "best" scenario for this dac.. Although the "best" is a big wide question, I know!

I posted a new thread because my question is about something I should have posted a couple of years before in the "BII and tranformers" thread.
I didn't know anything about TP had sponsored on this forum..

Best again from
Henrik

Hide this!Advertise here!