Recommendations For 75 Ohm Digital Wire - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2013, 10:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Default Recommendations For 75 Ohm Digital Wire

Hi guys I'm looking for recommendations for the most realistic sounding 75 ohm, digital wire you've heard that comes available with RCA connectors. I want to let everyone know in advance that I truly appreciate any time you've taken to respond.

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
Old 15th September 2013, 11:38 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

RG59. For short runs, you don't have to worry about perfection in impedance matching, but hey, it's cheap to have the right impedance, so why not?
Old 15th September 2013, 12:46 PM   #3
dmills is offline dmills  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Seconded, RG59 will do fine.

If you are trying to buy wire with pre fitted RCAs, just go to a video equipment place and get a composite video cable, shouldn't cost more then $10.

Regards, Dan.
Old 15th September 2013, 11:59 PM   #4
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

You may already have a video cable with RCAs on it; look for a red/white/yellow triple RCA cable that has a larger diameter cable for the video. I'm holding one that evidently was bundled with a satellite TV box, since it says "Dish Network RG-59/U" on the video cable.
Old 16th September 2013, 12:27 AM   #5
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetubeguy1954 View Post
Hi guys I'm looking for recommendations for the most realistic sounding 75 ohm, digital wire you've heard that comes available with RCA connectors. I want to let everyone know in advance that I truly appreciate any time you've taken to respond.

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
Any wire made for the cable TV industry will be 75 ohms. The trouble is that most will be terminated with F or BNC ends. You can buy high quality adapters.

But also all that old cable used for "composite video" or "component video" was 75 ohms and will work fine. But the new multi-shielded cable TV rg-59 with compression F or BNC ends is the best quality stuff. Then put RCA to BNC adapters on the ends.
Old 17th September 2013, 01:18 PM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You don't need high quality cable, as signals only go up to around VHF; just avoid rubbish quality. A decent screen may help - so avoid cheap coax with poor screen/shield coverage. 30-40 year old TV antenna coax would do, but modern versions skimp on the copper.
Old 17th September 2013, 01:43 PM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

What about changing the sockets to RF style, BNC, or F plug or ..., instead of keeping RCA.

Many folk have spare TV aerial cable with RF ends.
Old 17th September 2013, 10:04 PM   #8
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
You don't need high quality cable, as signals only go up to around VHF; just avoid rubbish quality. A decent screen may help - so avoid cheap coax with poor screen/shield coverage. 30-40 year old TV antenna coax would do, but modern versions skimp on the copper.
Actually the new quad shield stuff is really good. You need a speaci tool to install the compression fittings and I've never seen RCA compression fittings but I have seen RCA to BNC adaptors. You can even buy this stuff at Home Depot now.

There of course is a certain class of audiophile who would be disappointed that such a common and cheap cable works. He was hoping to spend $100 per foot on some kind of "magnetically aligned silver" wire.
Old 18th September 2013, 09:11 AM   #9
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quad shield? The assumption being that if one shield is good many more must be better? Why not have ten shields? I suppose naive specmanship gets everywhere these days.

For most purposes, including digital audio, one good shield is all that is necessary. The price of copper means that nowadays that may involve two layers with only one being copper.
Old 18th September 2013, 09:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The extra shielding seen today is because DVB-T signals is very very sensitive.

Hide this!Advertise here!