Recommendations For 75 Ohm Digital Wire - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 12:47 AM   #31
diyAudio Member
 
thetubeguy1954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida. USA
Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffforrest View Post
Trolling again!

Sad. And pointless.
That's not what I'm doing at all clifffffff. What I'm doing is calling a spade a spade and pointing out how this post is in keeping with your past history of responding to my questions in an aggressive and confrontational manner. You seem incapable of replying to even the simplest of my questions without belittling, denigrating, disparaging or calumniating me! It's either that or you start with your name calling.

Those who know me and have met me, like SY has, know that I'm not trolling! I'm also nothing like you seem to believe I am. I simply hold to a different belief system about audio and wires than you and many others ---{including SY}--- hold to. I'm sorry that your incapable of tolerating those who disagree with your audio world-view.

Hopefully in the future you'll come to understand that just because others hold different beliefs than yours that doesn't mean you have to respond with name-calling or in a manner that's belittling, denigrating, disparaging or calumniating.

For Example: I don't agree with your POV on wires. But that's not why I find your post offensive. I find your post offensive because of how you respond, period.

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
__________________
Central Florida Audio Society--SETriodes Group--Space Coast Audio Society---Full-range/Wide-range Drivers---Front & Back-Loaded Horns.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 01:53 AM   #32
diyAudio Member
 
thetubeguy1954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida. USA
Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Tom, I'm still impressed that someone wouldn't consider $500 for interconnects to be "expensive wires."
Sy considering that I'm using a $12.5K 40W/ch SET amp that in turn has $700 pair of Bendix 6900 tubes, Mazda "silver-plate" 6189 and a quad of 845B ---{soon to be Psvane 845-T}--- tubes installed. Using a pair of $500 ICs isn't what I see as "expensive wires." Especially after you consider they replaced $10K ICs! Now that's an expensive set of wires in my book.

The $500 ICs is expensive wires to you because you don't believe wires have a unique sound. However if you've heard $500 ICs make sonic improvements to an audio system that are equal to what you'd expect when upgrading from say a $500 preamp to $3000 preamp. Then those $500 wires would no longer seem expensive to you. In fact, like me, you might start considering them a bargain.

Remember my friend my offer to prove to you in person that I can detect sonic differences in ICs still stands. My only stipulations are:
  • I MUST be intimately familiar with the audio system that we are to use. Thus to ease the problems that might cause. It would behoove us to use my audio system. SY since you've seen and heard my audio system. I don't believe you'd have a problem with our using it.

  • All wire changes MUST be made manually by one person physically replacing one set of ICs with another set of ICs by hand. There will be no ABX boxes installed into the system that would introduce additional wires and it's internal components into the system! By switching ICs manually we will be keeping the system as simple as possible and it will remain the system that I am intimately familiar with sonically. The ONLY possible sonic changes I would hear would have to be a result of the wires being used.

  • I get to choose the music used for testing.

  • Someone I know well & trust will stay with SY at all times during the test. While someone SY knows well & trusts will stay with me at all times. This is just to keep things honest.

  • If after reading this there are things you require added or if there's anything you take issue with about what I've written above. We would discuss and agree upon any changes before we'd meet.

This wire dilemma has been with us audiophiles for ages. Unlike many others I'm willing to put my convictions to the test. That alone should convince others ---{even if they disagree with my POV on wires}--- that I honestly believe what I'm saying about wires having their own unique sonic sound!

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
__________________
Central Florida Audio Society--SETriodes Group--Space Coast Audio Society---Full-range/Wide-range Drivers---Front & Back-Loaded Horns.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 02:07 AM   #33
diyAudio Member
 
thetubeguy1954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida. USA
Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Don't think so. I know Tom, and he is a very sincere guy. I firmly believe that he's sincerely wrong, but no way he's trolling.
SY,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad there was someone in this thread that has actually met me, talked with me, sat and drank beer me, listened to tunes and talked audio with me. You at least have some first-hand knowledge about from which to draw when you made your comments.

What you said is 100% true. I am not trolling. I am completely sincere in my beliefs about wires and you completely disagree with my beliefs. Yet unlike with clifffffffff you and I were able to be friends, enjoy each other's company, share beer and listen to music together ---{Sy had some interesting recording he'd made}--- and we did that will disagreeing with each other about wires! Now how in the heck do you suppose that could happen?


Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
__________________
Central Florida Audio Society--SETriodes Group--Space Coast Audio Society---Full-range/Wide-range Drivers---Front & Back-Loaded Horns.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 02:17 AM   #34
diyAudio Member
 
thetubeguy1954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida. USA
Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTW View Post
I have used this Oyaide cable .. very good value for money..

DR-510 / DB-510 ????????????????????????????????oyaide?

If you can try switching from RCA connectors to BNC.. BNC sounds much better than RCAs on my Shigaclone and BII Dac
Thanks BTW. I'll check that cable out. Unfortunately my cdp/transport only has XLR or RCA out. However my DAC accepts four different types of inputs with BNC being one of those. I would if I a cable would sound better with RCA at the transport end and BNC at that DAC end?

Just to see if I can hear differences in 75 ohm coax wires ---{I haven't done any comparisons yet so this will be my first test}--- I purchased a new 75 ohm coax cable at Radio Shack tonight when I picked my wife up from work at the bus stop. Tomorrow I'll remove the AudioQuest 75 ohm coax a friend lent me and I'll put in the Radio Shack 75 ohm coax. After I've done some back and forth listening tests. I'll post here whether or not I heard a difference. So see you all tomorrow...

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
__________________
Central Florida Audio Society--SETriodes Group--Space Coast Audio Society---Full-range/Wide-range Drivers---Front & Back-Loaded Horns.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 04:27 AM   #35
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Don't think so. I know Tom, and he is a very sincere guy. I firmly believe that he's sincerely wrong, but no way he's trolling.
Yes some people are serious but wrong. I once worked with a guy who was a competent engineer. The field was radar. He firmly believed the blind testing was a poor method because it nearly always was never able to show any difference between products.

I'm not making this up. He actually believed the method was not effective

He said that when he KNOWS which product he is hearing he can always tell you wich one he like best so this method must be more effective because it actually produces a usful result.

You just can't argue with a non-logical believe. Applying any about of logic or reason can't

I even tried this argument: OK so you say we can't hear any difference until we know the brand of speaker wire. Right? So if I come into your house and secretly swap out your expensive cable and put in a generic Home Depot extension cord you would not notice the difference untill one day when you saw the orage cable on the floor. You'd listen for weeks and never know.

He then started talking about Schrödinger's cat and how it prove his point that you have to look at the wire and then the sound becomes known.

Arguing further is pointless. We all know the problem is a psychological "confirmation bias" but people like to think they, among all humans on earth are immune to such. I try to explain that the wire has FAR to many atoms to allow analogy to Schrödinger's example


There is another effect that combines with this. I call it "Standing on a sheet of plastic food wrap so you can see farther". The logic goes that if you are taller you can see farther. So in theory if we stand of one sheet of food wrap film we will be a few micrometers taller. The effect must be real but the practical difference is no existent. Typically when they say thy can hear something they have a standing on film type argument and then argue that blind testing is simply to in-senitive a test to detect it. But they can hear it if they look.


As I said, these guys are series, just illogical
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 05:20 AM   #36
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Singapore
Hi Tom,

From my experiments.. yes, I still prefer a digital cable with one end BNC.. as compared to both ends RCAs. In fact I like the BNC so much that I converted my Shigaclone to accept BNC, well woth the effort..

Btw I also tried some cheap Audioquest Coaxial silver cable I got from the ebay.. quite good sounding.. but I prefer the Oyaide better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by thetubeguy1954 View Post
Thanks BTW. I'll check that cable out. Unfortunately my cdp/transport only has XLR or RCA out. However my DAC accepts four different types of inputs with BNC being one of those. I would if I a cable would sound better with RCA at the transport end and BNC at that DAC end?

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 06:32 AM   #37
diyAudio Member
 
thetubeguy1954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida. USA
Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjr100 View Post
Tom, DH-Labs have new D-750 cable. Do not spend more than it costs. Ready cable will cost you ~130$

I have it's predecessor - D-75 - quite impressive if you compare to other digital cables.

Have not heard D-750, but it should be slightly better then D-75, as DH-Labs says.
Hi xjr100! I just checked out the DH Labs D-750 digital wire. It seems nice and as you commented at $130 it's quite reasonably priced. It's definitely a contender. Today I'll be directly comparing an AudioQuest 75 ohm digital wire against a Radio Shack $19.95 75 ohm digital wire. As I've never compared digital wires before now this should be a very interesting test. If Sy and the other guys are correct I shouldn't detect and sonic differences between my friend's $500 AudioQuest 75 ohm cable and the $20 Radio Shack 75 ohm cable ---only time will tell! I'll post my opinion of the two wires later today. Thanks again...

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
__________________
Central Florida Audio Society--SETriodes Group--Space Coast Audio Society---Full-range/Wide-range Drivers---Front & Back-Loaded Horns.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 07:13 AM   #38
xjr100 is offline xjr100  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetubeguy1954 View Post
Today I'll be directly comparing an AudioQuest 75 ohm digital wire against a Radio Shack $19.95 75 ohm digital wire.
Definitely there will be the difference. All is jitter-related, as cheap cables do not provide stable 75Ohm and it is very important for wave transmission - it is not as with analog audio. If you can go fo BNC - it's even better, as BNCs are more precise connectors in terms of 75Ohms.

I've compared D-75 vs cheap cables - TechLink and Hama with SPDIF out. On oscilloscope you can see that D-75 have more square front vs cheap cables (they rounded). I've posted those pictures here Looking for silver digital coax
As usually "cable thread" splitted into believers and skeptics
__________________
Auricap XO, Mundorf, Jantzen capacitors, coils, MSolder, terminals, DH-Labs interconnect & speaker cables, internal wiring for DIY & upgrades are here: www.audiohobby.eu
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 07:29 AM   #39
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Blackburn, Lancs
Quote:
Thanks BTW. I'll check that cable out. Unfortunately my cdp/transport only has XLR or RCA out. However my DAC accepts four different types of inputs with BNC being one of those. I would if I a cable would sound better with RCA at the transport end and BNC at that DAC end?
My only comment on this is that different connectors could again mean impedance mismatches, the aim is for a constant impedance, so if the cable is such a critical component them the same connectors at each end is the best way of achieving this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 07:53 AM   #40
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Blackburn, Lancs
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjr100 View Post
Definitely there will be the difference. All is jitter-related, as cheap cables do not provide stable 75Ohm and it is very important for wave transmission - it is not as with analog audio. If you can go fo BNC - it's even better, as BNCs are more precise connectors in terms of 75Ohms.

I've compared D-75 vs cheap cables - TechLink and Hama with SPDIF out. On oscilloscope you can see that D-75 have more square front vs cheap cables (they rounded). I've posted those pictures here Looking for silver digital coax
As usually "cable thread" splitted into believers and skeptics
Both waves show ringing and multiple reflections, there are mismatches in both lines, and excessive energy is being reflected back from the receiver.
Neither are desirable, a slight rounding of the top edges are not a bad thing. The slight difference in edges is immaterial and would not effect data received.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Behringer DCX2496 digital crossover & Canare 75-110 ohm transformer Saurav Swap Meet 3 7th August 2012 12:20 AM
Is this a 50 or 75 ohm BNC connector? wwenze Parts 11 3rd February 2011 04:09 PM
Using 75-ohm digital coax cable for regular 2-ch analog audio? Glowbug Digital Source 7 12th May 2008 06:27 AM
75 and 50 Ohm cable ? jim Everything Else 10 11th March 2004 09:21 AM
Are 75 ohm digital video and audio cables the same? diamdiam Digital Source 8 2nd March 2004 03:52 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:13 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2