miniDSP 4x10 Hd - Should I be looking at anything else? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damuffin View Post
I am just trying to save peoples time and money. I have invested at least 40hours into DSP and it is the weakest link in my system. So when you make your purchase, be aware that it is degrading the signal, and that a passive crossover is far superior.
I have exactly the opposite experience. I chaged my Linn Isobariks from a passive analog crossover to active digital (using the hypex DLCP), and the improvement was pretty impressive.
Old 20th September 2013, 05:55 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damuffin View Post
Do yourself a favour and prototype with the miniDSP and then build a passive crossover network.
This won't work well in general. You can not expect to implement an active filter transfer function with a passive crossover after the amps (the typical location). If you mean a passive line level crossover (before the amps), then this could work but you can't implement any "boost" and you would have to keep this in mind when you are designing the filter.

You can design and listen to a crossover using the MiniDSP and then implement it as an active analog crossover (e.g. using circuits with op amps) and get pretty much exactly the same thing. You get the advantage of being able to make adjustments to the crossover on the fly, listen to them immediately, and then know that your design "sounds right" before taking the time to build the circuit up in the analog domain.
Old 20th September 2013, 06:25 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

It actually works just fine if you do it right. You take the transfer functions of a passive (speaker level) xover that you design using a simulator with measured driver impedances (as well as response, you'd hope, but it's not relevant to the filters), and then apply those functions with DSP.

If you do it the other way around and design your DSP crossover, then try to approximate it passively, that's usually not going to work out so well, as you are saying, but it can still be very helpful in terms of just determining/verifying targets for crossover regions, overall response trend, and that sort of thing.

Hide this!Advertise here!