DAC to use for 24/96 at most

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey now.

Im just wondering, if all I care about is 16/44 to 24/96 (at most) is this an ok dac to get:Amazon.com: TOPPING D20 24Bit 96kHz High Speed DAC Multi Function USB Optical Coaxial Decoder: Home Audio & Theater

Or am I better off with something like a Musical Fidelity V90 dac? My source is gonna be a PS4. The PS4 doesn't have analog out and I plan on using it as my digital music jukebox as well as playing games.

I know the Topping isn't the best, but I can't see the analog stage being so much better in a $300 and under priced dac.

I'd be inclined to use that $150 towards an AVR and just connect the PS4 using HDMI.

Or try a $20 DAC from eBay. If it does the job, you've saved a bunch, if it doesn't, you're out the price of a few hamburgers. Or, in the spirit of DIYaudio, you can try improving it. The components inside those $20 DACs aren't bad.

I'd be inclined to use that $150 towards an AVR and just connect the PS4 using HDMI.

Or try a $20 DAC from eBay. If it does the job, you've saved a bunch, if it doesn't, you're out the price of a few hamburgers. Or, in the spirit of DIYaudio, you can try improving it. The components inside those $20 DACs aren't bad.

yeah that Cambridge Azur 351 keeps haunting me

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.