I2S slave mode w/o master clock to S/PDIF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In several occation I've had a I2S signal available inside equipment, where I wanted to pick up the I2S signal and send it outside the equipment as a S/PDIF signal.

Last case was my car radio.

In that case, as well as on some other cases there is no 128/256/512*Fs master clk. Only the 64*Fs bitclk. They probably sample rate convert the signal where it is recieved.

So we're talking a stand-alone slave mode S/PDIF modulator with a clock doubler.
I don't know of a S/PDIF modulator IC that can run in slave mode, and internally double the bitclk to make the double freq for the biphase coding.

I wouldn't make a birds nest construction in the enviroment of a car, and basicly it would be easier and cheaper if there's a small PCB for this for sale on the net.

Do you know a (small) board for this? Or maybe a single chip I've overseen, that can do it? I'm not looking for extreme quality and VCXO's..

Best Regards, Eskil

Thanks - I studied that one, prior to asking. As I read the datasheet, the 12MHz Xtal and PLL only works in master mode. The PLL does not sync to an incoming bitclk, only to an incoming S/PDIF. Is that a misunderstanding? Doesn't the MCLK have to be synchronous to the bitclk?

Hi Dan, thanks for your kind reply.
It's a good point that a XOR gate and a RC Network can make a clock doubler. It will add a lot of jitter to the spdif stream, but that's probably not a problem in my car.
I don't trust a birds nest construction in a car, for reliability/vibration reasons.
Basicly I'm asking if there's a small cheap PCB out there that does it. It seems like there isn't. Thanks everyone for the replies!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.