Replace digital audio processors with a digital equalizer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Digital Audio processors are expensive. I have an idea to reduce cost but not sure if it is a good idea. Please consider me as a newbie. Can I do the tuning on the DSP first and after I have got the right settings, map these settings to a cheaper digital equalizer IC?

I am a newbie and am not sure as to how practical this idea can be implemented. Can some expert advise?

Thank you.

I rather suspect room EQ is demanding on computational resources so would need to be done with a fairly capable DSP chip - meaning lots of MMACs. But it does rather depend on your aspirations - some say that room EQ is best left to the lower frequencies only, in which case if you run a digital XO and decimate the LF output then you can run a very long filter without much CPU sweat. I'm very doubtful there'd be single ICs which do this but capable DSPs nowdays are surprisingly cheap. You could easily run a long filter in this manner on an LPC43XX (204MHz) which go for under $10.

I rather suspect room EQ is demanding on computational resources so would need to be done with a fairly capable DSP chip - meaning lots of MMACs. But it does rather depend on your aspirations - some say that room EQ is best left to the lower frequencies only, in which case if you run a digital XO and decimate the LF output then you can run a very long filter without much CPU sweat. I'm very doubtful there'd be single ICs which do this but capable DSPs nowdays are surprisingly cheap. You could easily run a long filter in this manner on an LPC43XX (204MHz) which go for under $10.

Thank you for the reply. Am I right to say that most equalizers are analogue and that if one were to use digital equalizers, might as well choose a DSP since digital equalizers are not much cheaper? Actually, I don't understand what are exactly the differences between DSP and digital equalizers. They all employ digital filtering, don't they?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.