China ES9018 4 layer PCB kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cuckoo is not enough

Also you may need a well made freezer to ensure that the atomic powered Cuckoo is running correctly. A well made freezer is works depend on better power supply ,a better power supply built on Amazon river.

So the best DAC in the world is running in Brazil,or Peru maybe.

Atomic clocks are almost the best clocks available! Add gps syncro and you get the almost perfect clock in the world! The only thing that these atomic clocks miss is the cuckoo thing.
Add the cuckoo and you'll get the best clock ever!

it depends :D (I presume you are being sarcastic, but just in case), atomic clocks have great long term ppm accuracy, this doesnt necessarily translate to good short term close in phase noise. many are simply high quality clocks, so their close in jitter is good for other reasons, but it has nothing to do with being atomic.

we can assume that they meant OCXO which is oven controlled temperature, again to keep long term accuracy, it makes for good buzzword qualified advertising literature, but says nothing about the specs that matter. they are also almost impossible to get off the shelf, in synchronous audio frequencies.

what we need is one that talks, it tells you what the samplerate is, in a variety of common languages.

Last edited:
Rubycon ZA looks too small

172122ffee111g2h121jf8.jpg

Hi guys.

I have listened a bit to the Audiolab 8200CDQ and found it to have amazingly good sound quality. I just wish it was a bit more durable (Japanese caps could be fitted et.c.)

Anyway I decided to build my own DAC.
Bought a kit from here:
Remove LCD ES9018 High End USB DAC CPU Coaxial Fiber 192K 24bit Kit WLX | eBay

Many small components were missing, also there were many extra included.
But soon I noticed that the board for the Microcontroller was missing.
Microcontroller was there, but there was nothing to connect the small keypad to nor the LCD.

Tested the circuit and I cannot get it working, most likely because I cannot select an input! Locked LED does not illuminate. I tried COAX and OPT inputs with tested sources.

There is a model of the board with a simple ON-ON switch to select input I think.
How is it wired?

I would be very happy if I get this one working.

I got kit like 10 days ago, but I still haven't sorted this out with the seller. (zoe_tsang)
Also I am afraid I will not get the missing board within the 45day claim time even if he agrees to ship it.
According to ebay policy I should ship it back, but then I loose all the soldering work and also some components that I added there.

Please help :)

Hi guys.

I have listened a bit to the Audiolab 8200CDQ and found it to have amazingly good sound quality. I just wish it was a bit more durable (Japanese caps could be fitted et.c.)

Yes, I had one and it sounds good. Problem is build quality, mine died, support from NZ agent Monacocorp was non existant. If you look on their twitter account it seems they have reliability problems. Build your own its cheaper and my Buffalo matches the Audiolab, I could not really tell the difference.

For the record there are a few common faults in Audiolab 8200 DACs and CDplayers
-Dead clock crystal
-Blown output stage
-Aged caps

The output stage I have not yet managed to fix, because parts are very small and to find every blown part and soldering them successfully is just not easy.
Changing clock and caps is easy :)

aged caps, it wasn't 2 years old? Caps were junk, but not old. I think brand of caps for what was a NZ$2500.00 player was Yulon from memory. I had never heard of this cap. This was my first and last Audiolab product. Will also avoid all products from Monacorp, that was a bad experience I will not repeat again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.