Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

DIY ES9018 Hi-end USB DAC
DIY ES9018 Hi-end USB DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2013, 12:56 AM   #11
jerry g is offline jerry g  Uzbekistan
diyAudio Member

has anyone heard this?
Old 6th June 2013, 02:12 AM   #12
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Everyone is pouring hot water on this item even before hearing it or has anyone even examine a copy of it in close quarters?

Is this fair criticism? I don't think so.
Old 6th June 2013, 03:55 AM   #13
Nanoloop is offline Nanoloop  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Comment are about design, not about sound. Comments are correct. Maybe you can say critical, but this is what the OP ask. If it can work, it is ES9018, so it can sound good. But for the money ? You decide - your money. Here is more pictures : ES9018顶级解码器DAC USB同轴光纤-淘宝网 and ES9018 最为顶级的高端DAC 192K 32BIT 可搭配CM6631A-淘宝网
Old 6th June 2013, 07:18 AM   #14
spirovious is offline spirovious  India
diyAudio Member

Yes,if all components & design looks perfect,then it may sound better.Many a times I heard that only chip is not important,but a design should be tuned perfectly.Anyone tried similar kit?the sound?
Old 6th June 2013, 12:29 PM   #15
tsip is offline tsip  Greece
diyAudio Member

I got one yesterday. late night listening so low volumes and headphones. First impressions are that it plays ok for the money and hints that there is a great dac chip onboard. Quality of components is ok, the mosfets were not the 610 and 9610 pictured but some cheap alternatives. Rest of the components ok. The opamps i opted are the ad797, i will go for a tube stage at some point.
For the moment its spdif for me, no unlocking issues experienced so far. For usb i will try to see if it works with the diyhk xmos module. By the way, delivery was ultra fast within 3 days of ordering.
Pretty busy at the moment so not a lot of time to play around, I will be doing some listening before any mods.
Old 6th June 2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Nanoloop is offline Nanoloop  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Great ! What amplifier and headphones ?

No music, maximum volume, all input disconnected, there is what kind of noise ? Also, the noise is always the same at every bit rate ? Same with source connected and source is switched on/off ?

Thank you for the testing !
Old 6th June 2013, 03:07 PM   #17
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
I got one yesterday. late night listening so low volumes and headphones. First impressions are that it plays ok for the money and hints that there is a great dac chip onboard. Quality of components is ok, the mosfets were not the 610 and 9610 pictured but some cheap alternatives. Rest of the components ok. The opamps i opted are the ad797, i will go for a tube stage at some point.
For the moment its spdif for me, no unlocking issues experienced so far. For usb i will try to see if it works with the diyhk xmos module. By the way, delivery was ultra fast within 3 days of ordering.
Pretty busy at the moment so not a lot of time to play around, I will be doing some listening before any mods.
Hi,
Now this is the guy who has the right to comment on this board. WE are looking forward towards your comments on this board, esp. if you can compare it against your currently owned DAC(s) and also the construction of this board.
Old 6th June 2013, 06:43 PM   #18
tsip is offline tsip  Greece
diyAudio Member

cheers guys,
amplifiers are the flying moles dad m-100, headphones the akg 240 studio, source is an xp netbook with foobar in kernel steaming output and speakers some wharfedale diamonds. Current dac is the tascam us-144mkii, I had several other over the years but this ones is a workhorse.
I get no noise from the headphones. I get noise from the speakers, with ears to tweeters and not noticeable in the listening position, but this is something that my setup does in all the dacs i have used. From speakers with no music, max vol and all inputs disconnected i get very low noise much less that when an input is present. The noise remains the same in all bit rates 16/24. Hope that helps

Like i said the quality of the board is ok. Soldering is done by hand of the "i couldnt have done it better myself" quality, so no problems. Capacitors are mainly standard panasonic line, some elna sicmic in the shunt outputs, some panasonic FL, few oscons and the mkps are epcos and piher. Fets look original but you never know..
As for the performance comparing to my tascam this one does things better in terms of clarity, image extension and bass realism, but this needs to be explored further as it needs some listening mileage to give an opinion. I like to take my time with my equipment. So far it looks like its worth the money to play with, by my standards. Whether there is more performance that can be squeezed, it remains to be seen in the future.
Old 6th June 2013, 07:08 PM   #19
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttan98 View Post
Hi,
Now this is the guy who has the right to comment on this board. WE are looking forward towards your comments on this board, esp. if you can compare it against your currently owned DAC(s) and also the construction of this board.
what is it with this silly belief that something can be incompetently made and it IS incompetent, but somehow magic springs forth from the speakers... if only you listen to it? this makes all the blatant disregard for proper construction go away. he even posts an incorrect schematic from the datasheet that doesnt match whats on the board ...

because he hasnt come close to meeting basic datasheet recommendations., but specifically hes only using 2 opamps per phase for the balanced->SE output, bot the full instrumentation amp (3 per phase) in the datasheet snippet he includes on the product page, along with snippets claiming the datasheet analogue performance, not a chance.

the guy who has this board and never before this dac, sounds like an old dac, but myself, who has 2 x 9012 ESS dacs (Ackodacs), 2 x TP BII, a TP B32, and i've built others for people and all this since not long after the dac was released in 2009, I dont have the knowledge to comment on the quality of such a basic ESS design when asked to do that? funny.

Last edited by qusp; 6th June 2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 6th June 2013, 07:48 PM   #20
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I磎 trying to imagine the SQ of the DAC..Is it qomparable with CS4398 wich I think sounds fine..

DIY ES9018 Hi-end USB DACHide this!Advertise here!