How do you reduce jitter with DSD? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2013, 05:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How do you reduce jitter with DSD?

So, I've read a good amount on strategies to reduce jitter for PCM, specifically stuff like ASRCs and what not. However, I haven't seen much on how to do the same for DSD streams. For your typical USB system, the path of the data should go like this:

DSD file --> DoP encapsulation --> USB Audio --> USB Receiver --> DoP deconversion --> ???? --> DSD DAC --> line-out

The question is, what, if anything, needs to be done in between the converting of the DoP to the DSD stream and the DAC stage to remove jitter?
Old 3rd June 2013, 01:48 AM   #2
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

just put it into most any current multibit Delta Sigma - they digitally filter the single bit DSD for increased word length and merge into their modulator to match their internal thermometer code DAC resolution - incidentally giving less jitter sensitivity

next to no one offering "DSD compatibile" DAC are really puting 1 bit DSD out into a analog filter
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Okay, but that's not what I'm asking. I know you can put DSD streams into a DAC, and it will internally convert it into PCM. However, how do I get the stream TO the DAC reliably in the first place?

I presume I need some sort of PLL. Silicon Labs and TI both have things they refer to as "clock jitter cleaners." Would those work?

Clock Jitter Cleaners - Dual / Cascaded PLL - LMK04816 - TI.com
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
DSD appears to me to be inordinately jitter sensitive in native form, something that I've never seen DSD-pushers admit to. One solution, which I originally saw proposed by Hawksford is to use a transversal filter. Essentially this sums together an array of 1bit DACs each delayed by a single sample period with individual weightings to give the desired filtering effect.

The original mention is here - http://www.essex.ac.uk/csee/research...ES%20paper.pdf. You'll note from this that Bob Adams recognises the extreme jitter sensitivity of noise shaped DACs with negative SNR over their operating range.

<edit> The only place that jitter needs to be reduced is at the point of converting from digital domain to analog - i.e. at the DAC itself. Nowhere else matters.

Last edited by abraxalito; 3rd June 2013 at 03:56 AM.
Old 3rd June 2013, 04:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well that is one option, but I'm using a WM8741 which has a built in native DSD DAC anyhow, so I'd prefer to use that.

So, I guess the question is, do you, or anyone else, know of any PLL chips that could be used to "clean" the jitter in a DSD signal?
Old 3rd June 2013, 04:26 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Who told you its native? That part uses a multibit SDM with multibit DAC so seems very unlikely the designers will have added an additional native 1bit converter to the silicon area.

If the USB protocol is async then the jitter is going to be that of the local clock, nothing to do with anything about the DSD signal.

Last edited by abraxalito; 3rd June 2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 3rd June 2013, 04:29 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

According to the datasheet it is, at least, I assume it is because it explicitly mentions the ability to convert to PCM. Why would they even give the option of converting to PCM if this happens anyway?

Anyhow, regardless, do things like PLLs have to be specifically made for audio? Will anything with the right specs work? What specs should I be looking for?
Old 3rd June 2013, 04:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Point us to the chapter and verse where you say the datasheet mentions the ability to convert to PCM?

As jcx has pointed out given that it'll internally convert DSD to its own noise-shaped PCM format, the jitter sensitivity is reduced over that of native DSD. No PLL is called for if you're using async USB and if you're not using async USB, whyever not?
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

WM8741 has "Direct" DSD mode or "DSD Plus" which converts to PCM.

There is an interesting thread at C.A. where it explains multibit SDM is not PCM (not my posts):

* 1 bit PCM is the same thing. In PCM, a bunch of 1's will add up to create a larger width pulse.

No, PCM encodes absolute amplitude as two's complement encoding at discrete time steps where width of each period is determined by sampling rate.

PDM encodes signal as density of positive and negative pulses. PWM is just variation where adjacent same bits are merged to encode signal as width of positive and negative pulses. Sampling rate defines smallest possible pulse length.

DSD is strictly a PDM, but practically it is used as PWM.

* However, in a modern day DAC, you have an analog sum of multilevel (usually first 5 or 6 bits) and DSD (usually 2 bit with MSB as sign, resulting in so-called 2-1/2 bit DSD).

That's only TI's hybrid architecture. Others make pure SDMs.

And the "2.5-bit" means five output levels (as described in the datasheet), IOW, log2(5) = 2.3219 which is roughly 2.5 bits as two's complement (which it is not, since it's not PCM). Practically zero level and two voltage levels above zero and two below zero (after I/V). You could think it as similar to NAD's PowerDrive amplifier circuit.

When used for DSD playback, it is used to form four alternative analog FIRs (since the output element behavior is not hard-coded).
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

That's not explanation that's probably just Miska. For example DSD is indeed PDM (pulse density modulation) but its not 'practically used as PWM. PWM has a different quantum of pulse width from the symbol rate, whereas DSD has its quantum the same as the sample rate. I'd not place a lot of weight on what you read over at CA, they do have a high proportion of DSD pushers there

<edit> Forgot to mention Charles Hansen has begun posting over there recently, injecting a much more reasonable perspective but seems he's not particularly been made to feel welcome

Last edited by abraxalito; 3rd June 2013 at 10:00 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!