Denon AVP-A1HDA: disappointment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A bit disappointed with the sound of this "multifunctional DAC" ;)
Both in stereo and in multichannel.

My previous setup was Denon AVC-A1SRA as DAC and for stereo I used Rec.Out to Meracus Onesta integrated. More or less I was happy with the sound until upgrade bug struck me. AVC-A1SRA was replaced by Primare A30.5 and AVP-A1HDA.

First disappointment was that AVP doen have limitation on analog Rec.Outs: it cannot output any signal if digital source is that is better than 20/44.1: Rec.Out is silent on 24/96, 24/192 and Denon support confirmed that it is limitation.

Second (and main) is AVP's sound quality is a bit worse in direct mode - simply it is not so fast, dynamic, real - it's like behind the light curatain if compared to AVC-A1SRA, however Audyssey gives some artificial "volume", what is a slightly better for movies, but still lack dynamics in battles, shots, etc. Also, after listening long time - ears are tired and gives signal to brain just switch off the music, what was not happen with previous setup with AVC.

I've looked inside of both amps: older one had Nichicon ASF caps in most important places, but AVP is full of smd-type electrolytics everywhere, even if there is space.I've connected record player for pure analog test and sound remained it's character. I suppose that AVP's preamp + signal path from phono have something what affects the sound in the way I do not like.

Searched internet and found that there are some companies who put their hands inside and there are some user reviews that sound seriously improved.

I have all service manuals for AVP (full set is ~20M), I can put it somewhere here if I know how to do this.

Then I'd like to get all the ideas from community, if there anything what can be done to improve the sound.

I suppose that this could be one of the reasons, as generally "audiograde" electrolytics have beter specifications at least on datasheets for ESR. Another thing is that AVC-A1SRA dac+preamp for my ears sound better and there are some higher grade caps.

If I can upload service manual with schematics here - it will be more informative.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.