Unique question-Which DIY DAC to get?! LOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What I don't understand is where a another dac would fit into your system. The way I understand it now you have a SB touch...digital out -> MINIDSP 8*8 -> amps -> speakers.

Since I'm assuming the MINIDSP is a DAC already but one that does dsp so you can do room corrections and or crossover stuff...bla bla bla.

To summarize I can't see how and where you would insert this new dac of yours.

Last edited:
Ok. Re-read your first post. It appears that you are planning to use the MiniDsp 8*8 for your subs only. The reason I did not understand that at first is because of the 8 channels.

So I'm assuming you want to use the MiniDsp for subs. And get another high quality DAC kit for your main speakers.

In that case what sets the DDDAC apart from other dacs in my mind is that for 400 euros. (Assuming you buy the Complete DAC SET: DAC and USB WaveIO Board - KIT and both PSU kids.) You get an absolute high end..if not reference quality DAC.

Just spent a good 3 hours going through CD`s through the DDDAC.

If you can get to hear one, please do so, I have not heard digital audio or now analogue any better than now. If you have the budget,go for the 4 stack and allow for the transformers at a later date for the ultimate performance.

I am constantly amazed by the Dac`s sound quality and I have only got 44.1 Red Book !!!;-)

keager, how did you go with this? I'm about to go the dddac route for monitoring in my mastering rig (already using a pcm1794a based dac but want a more elegant solution, hence the dddac choice).

I'll also be using an analog volume control but yet to decide which route to take. Goldpoint springs to mind but may just go ALPS for the interim..

I also use a DDDAC in my mastering setup. Much less fatiguing on the ears when compared to a more typical upsampling DAC.

I have found that setting the gain on the WaveIO card to -12dB gives me a comfortable maximum on the master fader without the need for any analogue attenuation whatsoever.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.