Too many DIY choices, advice appreciated. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Wardww is offline Wardww  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default Too many DIY choices, advice appreciated.

Hey all. I've read heaps of stuff here but now I am finally dipping my feet in the DIY DAC area, I would love some advice. I'm an Aussie in the south of Brazil and I'm looking for a cheap sub US$50 kit with coax and/or S/PDIF in (with PS if possible). I'm happy and qualified to solder but being here in Brazil and far from support, I'd be more comfortable with an assembled board that I only need to fit in a box and go but this is not a deal breaker. There are just so dam many chip choices with these kits and I am hoping someone out there can give me some direction. I've researched the crap out of the choices and have actually disappeared up my own *** with confusion. Please take a look at my system below and give me an idea of what may sound good with it.
My system is a good top end ASUS mobo PC built and specd myself. I am using an old but sweet Marantz PM 300 with a pair of Tannoy Eclipses and a another pair of Electro-Voice IIs. All my CDs are in flac format but I still have a shitload of 320 MP3s that I sometimes play as well. Thanks in advance all, Ward
Old 22nd May 2013, 06:07 PM   #2
Mull3t is offline Mull3t  United States
diyAudio Member

If you want Coax - S/PDIF in try this... The γ1 Modular Miniature DAC ...the kit will cost more than $50. Probably more like ~$100. There are other options but they will be USB only. This offers a lot of bang for the buck and is self-contained. Just requires USB power or a 5v wallwart.
Old 22nd May 2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Wardww is offline Wardww  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for the fish !

I went with this:

Finished 2496 AK4396 CS8416 DAC With Transformer Case | eBay

Hide this!Advertise here!