ADC to IP and IP to DAC - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2013, 05:06 PM   #41
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipro5
I didn't got it..... I can't "fully" understand with these strange words involved.:
Sorry, I assumed someone trying to do the impossible (or nearly so) will have explored what makes it impossible - or would do so when it was drawn to his attention. Especially if someone is paying. FWIW Nyquist is not an English name!

The nice thing about having a simple view of the world is that all problems (including impossible ones) look simple.

You still haven't told us what the application is, and how your friends found fans with ultrasonic hearing.
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:14 PM   #42
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

there is the dynaudio 'AIR' network for studio monitor speakers too, which may be able to be bent to the task, but again $$$$$...$$
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:37 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Sorry, I assumed someone trying to do the impossible (or nearly so) will have explored what makes it impossible - or would do so when it was drawn to his attention. Especially if someone is paying. FWIW Nyquist is not an English name!

The nice thing about having a simple view of the world is that all problems (including impossible ones) look simple.

You still haven't told us what the application is, and how your friends found fans with ultrasonic hearing.
Maybe with my English I didn't explained it well.

a. They want to pass frequencies (Audio) from 0 to 20KHz FLAT.
b. They have devices (transmiter/reveiver - upconverter/downconverter) that you give them an input of 0 to 20KHz and the "transmiter" with its local oscilator (45KHz), upconverts them at 45KHz + 0 to 20KHz - thus MAX 65KHz (Bandwidth from 45KHz to 65KHz).
The receiver gets this - from 45KHz to 65KHz bandwidth signal - and with its local oscilator (45KHz), downconverts it to AGAIN 0 to 20KHz.
By doing so, you pass audio frequencies from somewere to somewere else, without hearing them in the midle (of the transmission).
So by doing so, you could pass through an audio signal and ANOTHER audio siglal at the same time.

Can you understand it now somehow?

That is the reason that they want something with FLAT bandwidth from 0 - 65KHz.

Last edited by hipro5; 23rd May 2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:40 PM   #44
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The components, operating system and bus topology (such as profinet) are all available...
HDMI interface is pretty fast maybe that could be modified in some way...
Lots of research and engineering would be required though.
Still trying to work out why they want to do this!

Last edited by marce; 23rd May 2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:41 PM   #45
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

very strange, surely the use of another channel for that extra embedded 20khz would be easier... how does that even work? how do you demodulate 20hz from 45.020Hz doesnt seem to make sense, but i'm no expert here and I cant say i've though about frequncy like that before, so maybe it just seems odd

Last edited by qusp; 23rd May 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:49 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

If I knew what they actualy what these guys to do, I could explain it better.

Problem is that my "brother" (best friend of mine) is involved with this and I'm trying to help him as I can.

I've already asked him why don't they just pass 0 to 20KHz from one AUDIO channel and the other 0 to 20KHz from another AUDIO channel and they will have the same resault.
He said that they don't want that. They want as they describe.
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:56 PM   #47
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Why upconvert? It achieves nothing for a digital transmission, except to make the problem harder by requiring a faster sampling rate. If you want to send several audio streams over the same channel then there are digital techniques for that. Two streams are routine - we call it stereo.

Something your friends need to learn is that when you need a solution you first have to define the problem, not insist on a half-baked solution and call that the problem.
Old 23rd May 2013, 06:04 PM   #48
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

192k "audio" ADC is no problem, should be flat to ~80 kHz

popular Delta-Sigma types do add a few dozens to maybe ~100 sample times latency in their digital filters

but the big variable is the network - are you talking on a company or Uni intranet? - could be very low latency, high "QoS"

or do you mean any 2 network connections? - say one provider's DSL with another's cable service at the other end - provided both even have enough bandwith to your machines the packets may go 100s of miles before "connecting"

no one wants to publish QoS limits in the general case - you need to be specific about the connections

bidirectional delays are critical for collaborative performance - 10-20 ms seems to be recommended as maximum delays for the musicians to play together

Last edited by jcx; 23rd May 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 23rd May 2013, 06:12 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Intranet network or via Wi-Fi for some hundred meters away.

Last edited by hipro5; 23rd May 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 23rd May 2013, 06:17 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
192k "audio" ADC is no problem, should be flat to ~80 kHz

bidirectional delays are critical for collaborative performance - 10-20 ms seems to be recommended as maximum delays for the musicians to play together
YES!..........That's it.......

Hide this!Advertise here!