ADC to IP and IP to DAC - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipro5 View Post
I don't know.

They asked me this - 0 - 65KHz FLAT to IP out and IP in to 0 - 65KHz out.
To do that you need a sample rate of 192 KHz. Will not be easy to find converters to do that. Did they specify maximum allowable latency? Is a lost packet a diaster, or can it be tolerated occasionally?
Old 22nd May 2013, 06:33 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Aren't all or if not all, the majority of the audio cards, 192KHz sampled nowadays?
How high latency is acceptable in audio? I don't know.
I don't think that they want "lost packets" so a bit latency I believe it'll not harm them ehhh?....
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:47 AM   #13
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipro5 View Post
Aren't all or if not all, the majority of the audio cards, 192KHz sampled nowadays?
Pretty common on the DAC side, less common on the ADC side.

Quote:
How high latency is acceptable in audio? I don't know.
I don't think that they want "lost packets" so a bit latency I believe it'll not harm them ehhh?....
Problem is that going from 48 KHz to 192 KHz sample rate also quadruples the latency.

If lost packets (resulting in short dropouts) are unacceptable, you will have to buffer enough to allow for retransmissions, so latency could go up into several seconds.
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:49 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Several seconds latency?....We are talking here about 20ms with worst case senario of 100ms.
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:01 AM   #15
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

then you cannot have guaranteed buffered data and since you dont have the ability to use the dac as the clock source and send that back, then you have problems. maybe several seconds is overstating it, I dont think you need that much, but certainly 20-100ms is not enough
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:11 AM   #16
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I think the OP needs to go back and tell his musician friends that unless they can find a way to avoid causality and the Nyquist sampling theorem (and perhaps a few more things set for us by the universe as it is) they can't have what they want. It is almost certainly the case that what they want is not actually what they need so maybe if they can spell out exactly what they need, and where they can compromise, an engineering solution may be possible.
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:07 PM   #17
marce is online now marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You are getting into real time operating system and data transmission here. It can be done, but the cost would be quite frightening...
Old 23rd May 2013, 01:28 PM   #18
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

A dedicated Ethernet link could perhaps do it, but you would need to bypass IP and go straight for the physical layer. Not sure if the usual drivers support that, but I suppose you could get a modified driver.

If I recall correctly (I can't be bothered to look it up) a 'thick' Ethernet cable can be up to 500m, and you can have up to three of these connected via bridges? So 1.5km is possible. Remote bridges linked by fibre can extend this. Many years ago I used to play with things like this for the power industry.

Knowledge of the application might help.
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:02 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I think (in my mind of course) that things are simple.

An ADC to IP box and an IP to DAC box passing up to 65KHz.

1+1=2

C'mon guys! Help me out to this.
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:05 PM   #20
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

with your (unreasonable) prerequisites as stated, it is not simple. restating it will not get a different answer

Hide this!Advertise here!