XMOS DSD 384 kHz / 32bit USB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The draw of the reclocker/dac is less than 130ma, so its Sala is tuned for 150/250. The USB section draws less than 400ma, so it's Salas is tuned for 400/500ma. I usually go with more headroom, but I'm trying hard to control my thermals given my case choice. The ~100ma headroom is proving more than adequate.

Re: tips, you'll definitely want a lytic in C102.

Hi,

using RaspyFi with my Nokia AC-10E charger with no extra power supply i can say that it works without problems
(Raspberry Model B 512MB RAM)

Thank you for the test. I'm glad that XMOS board works with RaspyFi.

Just to share in my efforts; I've got an XMOS/AK stack powered by duel Salas shunts. Both with SILMIC II 220uf lytic, tuning for digital use. Pardon the 'low profile' build pattern; I plan to mount all this in a low profile case.

To the sound - very very nice for the price :) The reconstruction filter certainly gives up a bit to a traditional IV, but in other ways... Before calling it done, I'm going to add a JG Buffer. Have to say though, the DSD/PCM performance of this stack with quality power is pretty damn good. Thanks again Joro.

Thank you for sharing your efforts with us and for squeezing everything from XMOS/AK combo :)

Regards,
Joro

Hi..

Thank you very much joro, the package arrived yesterday, beautifully packed.

Omne question please, the i2s output, which one is which? Can you give me a image showing me how to connectthe board to buffalo3? Also the spdif out, which one should be connected to which .

Sorry for i am a newbie on dac wiring.

Thanks.

Hi,

the i2s output, which one is which? Can you give me a image showing me how to connectthe board to buffalo3? Also the spdif out, which one should be connected to which...

You can find the datasheet of the XMOS board at Specifications
As for the connecting, you need to connect the outputs of the XMOS board (pin 13, pin14, pin15 and GND) to the corresponding inputs of Buffalo III board.
It is not necessarily to connect S/PDIF if you already connected XMOS board to Buffalo board through I2S. You can use S/PDIF input of Buffalo for connecting to other sources.

Regards,
Joro

Hi,

I want to use it as usb to spdif and usb to i2s, thats possible right? I do not expect all worked at once but i should be able to do it without rewiring right?
Also how to connect the spdif output to rca?

S/PDIF and I2S are working simultaneously up to 192kHz.
As for S/PDIF connection you can choose the pin above the label "out S/PDIF" for signal.

Regards,
Joro

Hi Joro,

I now have the usb / 4396 combo running on a separated PS based on LM 317. The usb is now running on 4.3 V and the reclock / 4396 board is running on 5.2 V.
The sound is very good.
The question i have is: Is it usefull to try to improve the PS for the reclock / 4396 board anyfuther?
The clocks are locally regulated (LP59000?) how is the regulation around the 4396?

I think EUR 63 for the usb xmos board with isolation and reclocking is a real bargain!

Gr GJ

I'll share my experience gugi; I started out powering USB/AK each with 317's on the bench. It sounded pretty good. I had a couple of extra BIB's, so I built a couple of shunts to replace them. A definite improvement. More slam, more dynamic, better pace.

Just be sure to use lytics in your shunts if you go that way. I've found the Elna Silmic II's to be stellar with the BIB's built to power digital circuits.

Hi,

The question i have is: Is it usefull to try to improve the PS for the reclock / 4396 board anyfuther?
The clocks are locally regulated (LP59000?) how is the regulation around the 4396...

Thank you for your words.
There is one LP5900, which is feeding only the working oscillator, and another LP5900 which feeds the reclock. So in this case LM317 is a pre-regulator. AK4396 entirely rely on external power regulator. For the other, you can trust to Mister Rogers.

Regards,
Joro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.