Cheapest top dac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok thanks for your answer, you convinced me and I will order some 6DJ8 tubes for experiments, this might be fun;
so my last question would be (although you may repeat yourself), but I just want to be sure - that means in your current layout, NO I/V resistor from the (-) phase goes to ground and there is only one single 120 ohm resistor from the (+) phase that goes to GND? this means that the (-) phase is tied up directly to the GRID of the valve without any I/V resistor?

thanks in advance

p.s. I followed the link in your signature and your projects look awesome, very clean work and nice external enclosure designs

the schematics must have been here at the end but maybe intentionally left empty

http://www.lampizator.eu/shop/Manuals/Tube Kit Ver 3.0/V30 SRPP kit manual 6N16P.pdf

but if he says that is the same kit like v2 with some upgrades only in the power supply part that means it has to be the same like at the end of this other pdf

http://www.lampizator.eu/shop/Manuals/Tube Kit/Manual V2,0.pdf

but if you say that this multi purpose SRPP sounds worse than a cathode follower then I take your word for it;
but I found some very cheap NOS miniature tubes 6N16P (10 pieces for 15$)in my country that I will also try in this SRPP config and I will compare the sound - this is the fun in all these DIY projects hehe

edit:
anyway, I see that lampizator's scheme posted at the end of v2 pdf document differs somehow from the first one posted by me at post No.#39 in this thread, .... he takes the OUT signal from the GRID of the second half of the triode ??

Last edited:
the schematics must have been here at the end but maybe intentionally left empty

http://www.lampizator.eu/shop/Manuals/Tube Kit Ver 3.0/V30 SRPP kit manual 6N16P.pdf

but if he says that is the same kit like v2 with some upgrades only in the power supply part that means it has to be the same like at the end of this other pdf

http://www.lampizator.eu/shop/Manuals/Tube Kit/Manual V2,0.pdf

but if you say that this multi purpose SRPP sounds worse than a cathode follower then I take your word for it;
I say SRPP sounds worse than common cathode tied to cathode follower in my system.
but I found some very cheap NOS miniature tubes 6N16P (10 pieces for 15$)in my country that I will also try in this SRPP config and I will compare the sound - this is the fun in all these DIY projects hehe
Yes, you can also use 6N16B to build common cathode tied to cathode follower.
edit:
anyway, I see that lampizator's scheme posted at the end of v2 pdf document differs somehow from the first one posted by me at post No.#39 in this thread, .... he takes the OUT signal from the GRID of the second half of the triode ??
It's SRPP, but there's a mistake in drawing or mistake in project. One may take the OUT signal from grid and it works, but output resistance of such circuit is very huge and it can drive in practice only grid of other tube.

ready to go dac

try a denon dvd-5000/9000 for little money. I have bought both for less than $100 and would challenge anyone to get better for less. Both had reading problems, but not the lazer, and the unit is well built and cannot be bettered for the money. This is only good info if you are interested in good value.

Sure - all DACs introduce noise when their output changes, its inevitable because there's no such thing as zero settling time (which would require infinite slew rate) and zero glitch. If the settling transient were perfectly exponential then there would be no noise added but I've never seen a DAC + I/V stage which behaves like that.

To minimise this noise, run the DAC only as fast as required for the necessary bandwidth, but no faster..Hence NOS, but with a steep output filter to suppress the images since sending the image frequencies through an active stage results in IMD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.