Sourcing Sanyo LC7881 via I2S - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2013, 11:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sourcing Sanyo LC7881 via I2S

Hello All,

I want to build an easy DIP socket type DAC, and Sanyo LC7881 looks very interesting to me. Easy build, few external components, native voltage -high impedance- outputs, but no standard i2s wiring compatibility.

I found this schematic on a Bulgarian forum. I don't know its author and I'm posting here within his/her tolerance. Any comments on circuit, especially i2s conversion on digital input section and additional info will be appreciated.

Regards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dac_lc788.jpg (78.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 28th April 2013, 12:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It seems interest on this chip is very limited. Maybe it is better to find a CD player based on this DAC for experiments.
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #3
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

http://forum.cxem.net/index.php?show...&#entry1020282

Glue logic for LC7881 here.

Looks painful, and he does not show the SPDIF receiver used.

Last edited by erin; Yesterday at 11:25 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM   #4
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

The best part of the LC7881 is that it plays music. It has a relaxed non digital type of sound but is more detailed than a TDA1543 going from memory. It is not as detailed as some of the flagship DAC chips, but due to its pleasant presentation of sound it can be forgiven for its very minor lack of some detail. I also like this chip because every time I heard it, it produces decent bass, and balanced sound. Despite its minor limitations I believe a well designed board could sound very enjoyable. I even enjoy listening to it with op-amp outputs. I think a valve output would sound very nice..
The musical fidelity tubalog DAC was based on the LC7881 so to build a DAC will not be impossible.

Perhaps I have found an easy solution?

The NAD 5325 CD player uses LC7881 and YM3404B oversampling filter.
The complete d/a DAC converter list - DutchAudioClassics.nl

The YM3404B is designed to work with the YM3623B digital receiver

YM3404B chip for sale here

YM3623B chip for sale here

I found a pre made receiver board here

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? ( the picture is from the Ym3404B datasheet and shows a PCM56)
YM3404.PNG

Last edited by erin; Yesterday at 12:24 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!