CS8416+AK4393+5532 2496 - overheating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello - I would welcome any comments on an issue I have encountered with this DAC.

I bought it fully assembled and have installed it in a small enclosure with two separate transformers and it has been working nicely:)

Just recently, the output began to oscillate (I measured the output using PC scope and it is around 440Hz). A quick inspection showed that the L7912 and L7812 regulators were very hot (too hot to touch) - cooling them quickly stopped the oscillation, which returned as they heated up again.

I checked the voltage on the tab of each and found 0V on the L7812 and -5V on the L7912. I'm not sure what I should measure on either of these, but if I wanted to fit a heatsink, I'd clearly have to insulate one or both.

But surely if the DAC is working properly, the regulators should not be heating up so much?

Attachments

• DACCS8416.JPG
    DACCS8416.JPG
    347.2 KB · Views: 117
I also have this Dac and the regulators are always hot. I measured the temp and they are about 50 degrees celsius. i have had mine powered up for weeks on end and no issues with oscillation.
I have modded mine with a discrete op amp and 10 x larger power caps.
there is a thread on thjs Dac in here somewhere.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.