Build thread for ES9023 + JG Buffer boards (betatest) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2013, 09:18 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Noise wise the MIC is the best with 0.26V/SQRT(Hz), ADP following with 9V/SQRT(Hz) and LT with 20V//SQRT(Hz) as per the datasheets. However at the end of the day the performance within a specific application counts
Old 27th March 2013, 10:01 PM   #32
grufti is offline grufti  United States
wombat
diyAudio Member

I suppose that makes the 3.6V Micrel the obvious choice: fewer parts, built-in accuracy, more than enough current capability. It likes tantalum caps on the output and it benefits from the bypass cap.
Old 27th March 2013, 11:32 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

...if the artwork could tolerate lt1761 and ADP, and mic5205, so much the better. IN and out pins same? Locations of bypass or filter maybe not same? I have my NEG pin test to do yet, but I can always add or fly that V in {Kynar} if indeed that trick works and I/we could avoid the charge-pump noise. -3.4V easy to make. If the Neg pin PAD would have a V-in spot, and a .01 to ground....hmm. Hard to say yet.

VREG pads for optional R and C to GND, kind of given.

ODAC and maybe 1-2 other folks I've read, use a R in series with Aout R and Aout L 220R, one guy more like 400R... if and only if there is room, maybe you could drop in pads for 0R~220-440R? Unclear if anyone can HEAR the difference, or what it does to the SPICE simulation.

MCK probably nice flying that in from CM6631A 49.152 asynch-synch 8), well, I have many options. I have visions of this getting fed from Behringer DCX2496 channels too, regular I2S, pretty sure it will work.
Old 28th March 2013, 08:18 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoybiking View Post
...if the artwork could tolerate lt1761 and ADP, and mic5205, so much the better. IN and out pins same? Locations of bypass or filter maybe not same? I have my NEG pin test to do yet, but I can always add or fly that V in {Kynar} if indeed that trick works and I/we could avoid the charge-pump noise. -3.4V easy to make. If the Neg pin PAD would have a V-in spot, and a .01 to ground....hmm. Hard to say yet.
The pinout is identical or at least compatible but the external component arrangement differs. To suit all regs the board layout would have to be compromized. I'll try different options, but tend to share gruftis view at least for the 3.6V reg.

For the XO and FF supply the regs will not be too relevant anyway because all those linear regs are much too slow. Here the caps (type and arrangement) are more relevant and the regs simply provide correct DC voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoybiking View Post
VREG pads for optional R and C to GND, kind of given.

ODAC and maybe 1-2 other folks I've read, use a R in series with Aout R and Aout L 220R, one guy more like 400R... if and only if there is room, maybe you could drop in pads for 0R~220-440R? Unclear if anyone can HEAR the difference, or what it does to the SPICE simulation.
The series R in combination with the cap to ground forms another low pass filter. In our case we have the LCR filter so it does not make sense to add another R here unless you want to disable the JG Filter (btw: could also be done since we now have R pads shunting the coils and we have the C to ground after the coils )
Old 29th March 2013, 07:58 PM   #35
wombat
diyAudio Member

Default Beta PCB built up

Done! Almost all parts match the BOM value exactly, but size and type are sometimes what I already had lying around. This configuration is meant to run asynch on data from a USB port.

Now I'll have to come up with a power supply and then hopefully music.

Please let me know, if you see something that looks funky to you. The more eyes the better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC0367_at50.jpg (363.6 KB, 772 views)
Old 29th March 2013, 09:23 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Default The 18.7K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grufti View Post
Done! Almost all parts match the BOM value exactly, but size and type are sometimes what I already had lying around. This configuration is meant to run asynch on data from a USB port.

Now I'll have to come up with a power supply and then hopefully music.

Please let me know, if you see something that looks funky to you. The more eyes the better.
R to ground just after the coils is confusing what value.
Old 29th March 2013, 11:37 PM   #37
wombat
diyAudio Member

Thank you for checking things so closely. That resistor is a 17.4 kOhm Susumu thin film 0603. Mouser part #: 754-RR0816P-1742D24C. I'm not sure why it reads 24C, if I can make that out correctly. It measures 17.4 kOhm. It also happens to be a good match for my inductors. I picked two from the lower end of the distribution.
Old 30th March 2013, 06:48 AM   #38
wombat
diyAudio Member

Thank you Daniel, Joachim, EUVL, Abraxalito, EssTech... the list goes on. No debugging needed.

Clean, clear, harmonious sounds right from the first second after power up. It will be some time before I get around to measuring its performance. Maybe I'll should save myself the effort and wait for the second version, which is coming anyway. There is absolutely nothing egregiously wrong with it. Very nicely done.
Old 30th March 2013, 07:29 AM   #39
wombat
diyAudio Member

Default Typical messy test setup

Not even a good picture, it's late, but despite the mess, I hear no hum, buzz, or distortion. And thanks to acko as well. That's his isolator on the amanero. Thanks, Domenico.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00065_@33.jpg (589.7 KB, 715 views)
Old 30th March 2013, 08:01 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Great to hear that it worked out so well

Second version makes good progress. Please find below a teaser...
Will post some more information soon

GND is not routed yet. At least not on the board but only in my head
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ES9023 + JG Buffer v1.01.jpg (214.0 KB, 695 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!