Build thread for ES9023 + JG Buffer boards (betatest) - Page 28 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2014, 09:13 AM   #271
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLOP View Post
Hi Daniel,

In case I need several in // to run after a DSP and digital XO (Najda), are there specific instructions about clocking ?

BR
Jean-Louis
Basically you have three options:
1st: run each DAC from the DSPs MCLK. In this case you have to check the drive capability of the MCLK line of the DSP board since you will parallel several DACs (maybe a clock buffer is a good idea if not already implemented). You have to disable the local XO on the DACs (remove a ferrite bead in the corresponding local LDO reg) and add a 0603 jumper to enable external clocking.

2nd: run each DAC asynchronous from the DSP off of it's local MCLK (ESS DACs feature an asynchronous reclocking).

3rd: run the DACs synchronous from one clock but asynchronous from the DSP. This seems only feasible if using two stereo DACs and would require a bit more rework if using more than two DACs.

With the miniSHARC I am using option 2 with good results.

@all: just want to mention that the GB for curryman DACs has just been started

cheers, Daniel
Old 28th March 2014, 10:36 PM   #272
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Just finished one A very straightforward build, without any problem. A big thank to Daniel for designing that board and making it available. And another thank to Mullet who suggested me this DAC.

It sounds really good. The built was for a friend (he pays the parts, I play with them), so it'll go away soon but I could certainly live happily ever after with it.

The supporting parts are rather straightforward, the total cost was somewhere around 220 iirc, shipping included:

- Power supply is based on C-L-C filters (470uF-10mH/14r dcr-1000uF) followed by lm317-337.
- USB input is provided by the CM6631A board from diynhk, which has isolated I2S outputs. Getting the driver to install was however a bit of a pain, no automatic setup would work (on vista business).
- Case is a galaxy gx247, rca are from Neutrik. I tried to make the build a bit cleaner than my usual wire nests.

Btw, DC offset is 2 and 3mV, which is quite ok. It's a pcb bought on audiophonics last week, from the new minidsp batch.

I attach a bad phone pic with bad lightning to illustrate the description. I'll try to make better pics at daylight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top.jpg (551.7 KB, 430 views)
Old 29th March 2014, 02:17 PM   #273
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00940 View Post
I attach a bad phone pic with bad lightning to illustrate the description. I'll try to make better pics at daylight.
I said I'd try... my phone's camera is really awful though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front1.jpg (58.4 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg back1.jpg (53.5 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg top1.jpg (356.0 KB, 394 views)
Old 4th April 2014, 09:09 AM   #274
diyAudio Member

Nice build
Old 11th April 2014, 06:10 PM   #275
kinku is offline kinku  United States
diyAudio Member

Daniel what is your recommendation for usb I2S interface for Curryman DAC? I am planning to use squeezebox touch as transporter.Looking for asynchronous USB playing back 24bit upto 192khz sampling. Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 02:49 PM   #276
diyAudio Member

I am using the Amanero USB to I2S together with an isolator and it works really good.
However can you use USB interfaces with Squeezebox touch? Isn't it SPDIF out? In the latter case I'd use the Twisted Pear SPDIF Transeiver

cheers, Daniel
Old 14th April 2014, 04:31 PM   #277
kinku is offline kinku  United States
diyAudio Member

Squeezebox can be made to work with USB devices with an EDO mode from triode. It is working fine with my HRT streamer PRO in async mode
Old 11th June 2014, 01:09 AM   #278
Peterma is offline Peterma  Australia
diyAudio Member

I just setup this dac with cm6631a usb I2s and it sounds nice smooth bass and treble, spacious sound the only thing is the soundstage imaging I find the centre is pushed back a bit which makes the singer a little less dominant making the instruments more upfront.

Hide this!Advertise here!