Build thread for ES9023 + JG Buffer boards (betatest) - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2013, 06:36 AM   #141
diyAudio Member

Very interesting guys!

I've got XEN audio filter buffer stacked on an earlier ackodac for my headphone system with a stepped attenuator volume control feeding The Wire SE-SE. I'm also about to build up 3 more of Acko's newer AKD23 design with the filter and buffer for an active setup (similar to what I think Daniel's built - I'll be using 2 x minisharc)

On the ES9023 I have in my headphone setup I did feel there was some subjective improvement after adding Ian's FIFO/Reclocker compared to runing i2s directly from my WaveIO. I need to improve power supply isolation next for that DAC. There are a lot of variations in there though. XMOS unisolated vs FIFO with isol and reclock and also inverted master clock, very hard to track down exactly which part of it all makes the biggest contribution(s) to the improvement. Very uncontrolled listening test, hard to know if there was even any real tangible improvement in the output. I'm hoping to do some testing/measuring later, need to build some gear for that.

I have an amanero and acko's reclocking board so may be able to test that variation out too when I have some gear that can do measurements on that stuff.
Old 4th July 2013, 03:48 AM   #142
diyAudio Member

Hi Daniel,

Your DAC sounds very good, even the first listen without burn in or component tweak, or JG buffer. Thank you.

I use LP2985 3.6V reg + 150nF COG noise cap + 22uF X7R output cap (ESR is minimum allowed). There is 470uF BC038 + ferrite + 10uF Silmic II on input. Power is linear from uA7805. I2S source is isolated.

For J1 I use 15R thin film + 470uF Nichicon PLF for RC filter. I use 2x LP5907 3.3V reg with 1uF X7R output cap and 47uF oscon input caps.

XO is TXC 49Mhz with <1ps. It is not the great part but it is the best I can get from the local seller. I fit one flip flop so there is 24.576Mhz output. I will try with CS8421 asrc.

The extra long pads are great. I can parallel 100nF COG with 2.2uF X7R for charge pump. I use 100nF COG + 1uF film for neg rail.

Again, thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curryman es9023.jpg (220.1 KB, 627 views)
Old 4th July 2013, 07:18 AM   #143
diyAudio Member

Good that you like it

I like your setup and that you use the new TI LP5907 Regs. I ordered some and will try them soon too.

Just to make sure: from the picture it looks like you put some Cs (Pana PPS) to R41 and R51?

BTW: stuffed boards (quite good components, matched FETs) will probably be available soon for those who don't like SMD soldering or as basis for further tuning

Best regards, Daniel

Last edited by curryman; 4th July 2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 4th July 2013, 11:27 AM   #144
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Yes, you see the R41/R51 is 4.7nF pps, ready to try a second order filter. Today I already tried some different output filter because I cannot buy the coils. I like 4.7nF on the DAC output, 100R for R141/R151, and 9.4nF for R41/51 (it is 2x 4.7nF on each channel). I also try the CS8421 upsample to 96khz and 192khz - the DAC likes 192Khz ! So now I am very happy, especially my soldering on the tiny flip flop is successful, and must listen to more music and more music.

Thanks !
Old 5th July 2013, 02:52 PM   #145
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

Very glad to hear you're taking your design to a product level Daniel. You've done good work here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curryman View Post
Good that you like it

I like your setup and that you use the new TI LP5907 Regs. I ordered some and will try them soon too.

Just to make sure: from the picture it looks like you put some Cs (Pana PPS) to R41 and R51?

BTW: stuffed boards (quite good components, matched FETs) will probably be available soon for those who don't like SMD soldering or as basis for further tuning

Best regards, Daniel
Old 8th July 2013, 08:16 AM   #146
diyAudio Member

Thank you

Basically I only put things together with the help of some very experienced people.

Actually it will not really be a "product" level, since then I would have to change the design. When I made the boards I did not have a series production in mind and the components where chosen simply by performance and availability and not price/performance. Also for a product you wouldn't want to match parts.

However I found a partner (or he found me ) and some boards will be produced. I am always happy when nice projects are available for the diy community and this way I can contribute a bit
Old 15th July 2013, 02:55 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

Default Interested!

Please let me know when you have any news

Old 26th July 2013, 04:09 AM   #148
Mull3t is offline Mull3t  United States
diyAudio Member

Daniel,

Question about size of board in terms of measurements. I'm in the phase of my project where I'll be having someone drill holes for me. What are the dimensions of the latest board?

Thanks!
Old 26th July 2013, 06:53 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

Default Board dimensions

gmant123: please give me one or two more weeks. Then I will be able to give you more info about availability and price of stuffed boards.

Mull3t: please find attached the dimensions of the board (v1.1, but v1.08 is identical). Measures are rounded to 1/10th mm.

Best regards, Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Board dimensions.jpg (267.7 KB, 417 views)
Old 26th July 2013, 10:02 PM   #150
Mull3t is offline Mull3t  United States
diyAudio Member

Daniel,

Thanks this is quite helpful!

Hide this!Advertise here!