Build thread for ES9023 + JG Buffer boards (betatest) - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2013, 04:24 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Looks good I hope you like the sound! Looking forward to your report.

Yesterday I visited a friend and we listened to the DAC for a few hours. He was quite impressed and also liked the sound very much. After a few songs analysing the soundquality of the System we started to listen through his database and just enjoyed the music - always a good sign

BTW: DAC was powered by a 9V battery and the buffer was supplied with a salas shunt. Rest of the chain was macbook, miniSTREAMER, DAC, Bryston pre- + poweramp and Chario speakers...
Old 21st April 2013, 02:42 PM   #92
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

Just to followup - I have some troubleshooting in my future :-) wired it up for testing and didn't get any output. Just started to check my v at various vias and pins and my granddaughter busted in. It was a mad scramble to clear my work area before those lightning quick 3 year old fingers hit their target.

I'll be back at hit when company clears. I'm sure I just did something stupid.
Old 21st April 2013, 06:12 PM   #93
grufti is offline grufti  United States
wombat
diyAudio Member

If you have another DAC with I2S input you should make sure that the I2S signal are all good ... in other words that the known good DAC works with them. If not then that will have to wait.

Having looked at your photo just now I have a one thing that I would look at: the center pin [of 3] of the regulator next to C22 might not have any solder. You don't need R8, but having it should not cause you any grief. I had it soldered in place on my board for a while and everything worked great. The connections to the ES9023 using the 0 Ohm resistors are obviously a bit iffy, but difficult to check. What did you do to make sure that you are not making contact with the vias in the ES9023 footprint?

Best of luck.
Old 21st April 2013, 06:50 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

grufti, good that you mention the vias under the ES9023! They are at GND potential and not covered by solder mask. I simply overlooked that for the first revision For the second board they will be covered

@MisterRogers: please also check the right solder joint of C6. Looks suspicious to me. While this will not stop the regulator working it will degrade performance. Hoping you will find the fault soon, I can very well follow your situation. My Kids are also amazingly fast

BTW: I ordered some V2 boards (hoping they will be delivered by the end of next week) and parts I will keep you informed about my progress...
Old 21st April 2013, 10:21 PM   #95
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

Thanks for giving my board the 'eagle-eye' mates! Face-palm; forgot the isolation material above the vias under the E9023. Daniel reminded me, as did Pat; just zoned out and forgot. C6 & C22 are fine; I just need to remove and re-solder the DAC chip. At least that, but it's likely that. Thanks for the look gents.
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:58 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

I got a pair of

Eye Jeweler Watch Repair 20x Magnifier Magnifying LED

they can be had shipped from the USA for very little. They are too powerful to do any work with but superb for inspection. Unless you have something better. A single-eye version is well under $5
Old 22nd April 2013, 02:19 PM   #97
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

Oh I'm set there Pat; a year and a half ago when I saw a lot of SMD in my future I bought a articulating arm magnifier/light for my bench. Simply wouldn't be able to work without it.
Old 25th April 2013, 08:27 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Default New Boards arrived!

Hello all,

today the new PCBs arrived

I'll try to stuff a first board this weekend and will report
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP6006.jpg (362.8 KB, 397 views)
Old 25th April 2013, 09:24 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

Default Dampers

SO the ~47K damper R's go on the bottom? And the C201? doubles as a -V pin-header if you wish to insert -V to ES9023 "NEG" vs using it's charge-pump, eh? It looks very nice!

I did not measure potential impact, if any, on value of the Vreg resistor on ES9023 pin#6 to GND vs what -V you would read at ES9023 "NEG" pin, if using a CP cap [I do not know if there is a relationship at all]. In testing I took a reading of -V at NEG, then removed the CP cap and inserted the same value -V using a 79L05 and a 100R POT preset, then soldered in, then fine tuned to, in my case, -3.4V which is what my VOM read when CP had been running.

Thanks for the update, Pat
Old 25th April 2013, 09:34 PM   #100
grufti is offline grufti  United States
wombat
diyAudio Member

Very nice! Now, why exactly didn't you make it a six layer board? Just kidding of course.

Hide this!Advertise here!