DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2013, 07:02 PM   #1
GKF is offline GKF  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default DAC

guys just some info needed , i'm using now a ebay 24bit based dac kit . it works quite well.
just wondering what are out there for better kits that you folks may be using .

Last edited by GKF; 13th March 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 14th March 2013, 11:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKF View Post
guys just some info needed , i'm using now a ebay 24bit based dac kit . it works quite well.
just wondering what are out there for better kits that you folks may be using .
ANYONE?
Old 14th March 2013, 12:28 PM   #3
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

how did you expect someone to answer your 'question'?

you mention an ebay 24bit dac that works 'quite well' almost every single dac on ebay will be 24bit, how exactly are we supposed to know which so that we may make a suggestion for one that works better than 'quite well'?

You dont mention a budget, dont mention what could be better about it, you dont mention what you are using the dac with, what functionality you need, what skill level you may have etc..

basically you dont mention anything... thats why youve got no answers and asking again wont help.

ask a clear question, then you may get some answers
Old 14th March 2013, 12:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
how did you expect someone to answer your 'question'?
you mention an ebay 24bit dac that works 'quite well' almost every single dac on ebay will be 24bit, how exactly are we supposed to know which?, so that we may make a suggestion for one that works better than 'quite well' you dont mention a budget, dont mention what could be better, you dont mention what you are using the dac with, what functionality you need, what skill level you may have etc.. basically you dont mention anything... thats why youve got no answers and asking again wont help.
i would expect that a person out there had a good listen to a new design that my ebay 4 year old cheap design can't do.
there are about 27 different board designs alone on ebay as well as the twist pair opus design and any other ones i have not been aware of now.
i use a dac 24bit 192khz from ebay 4 years ago, from computer mp3 source to a counterpoint preamp. don't want usb just rca coaxial .
as far as budget goes it's like this if i find a better design that has higher end sound quality, i don't care what it costs. my only goal would be to go with a diy type for biggest bang for my buck .
Old 14th March 2013, 08:11 PM   #5
IanS1 is offline IanS1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKF View Post
i would expect that a person out there had a good listen to a new design that my ebay 4 year old cheap design can't do.
there are about 27 different board designs alone on ebay as well as the twist pair opus design and any other ones i have not been aware of now.
i use a dac 24bit 192khz from ebay 4 years ago, from computer mp3 source to a counterpoint preamp. don't want usb just rca coaxial .
as far as budget goes it's like this if i find a better design that has higher end sound quality, i don't care what it costs. my only goal would be to go with a diy type for biggest bang for my buck .
Your biggest bang for buck would be to use music files at a higher resolution than .mp3 for a start. Seriously, if all you're listening to is mp3 then stick with what you have and save your money.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:03 PM   #6
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS1 View Post
Your biggest bang for buck would be to use music files at a higher resolution than .mp3 for a start. Seriously, if all you're listening to is mp3 then stick with what you have and save your money.
+1
Old 14th March 2013, 10:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ok awesome bit of info. i'm only using mp3 because it was how i was shown in the last 4 years. i'm in no way computer smart and have been analog till then.
how do you mean to get higher resolution? sorry ,i'm not stupid. just 50 and not computer smart.

but thank you really as this seems to be going in the right direction. maybe the dac is not the issue.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

How do you get music on to your computer? Download from iTunes or other download site or do you copy/rip the original CD to your computer?
Old 14th March 2013, 10:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How do you get music on to your computer? Download from iTunes or other download site or do you copy/rip the original CD to your computer?
thanks
i download from a pay site called mp3va . and rip my own cd's as well
Old 14th March 2013, 10:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Which software are you using to rip your CD's?

Probably can't do much about the quality from the mp3va site. When you download does it give you the option to chose the quality/size of the .mp3 file?

Hide this!Advertise here!